YANSP (Yet Another No Spark Post)

GoldenMotor.com

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Good Sunday afternoon all!
Well it seems the Acme Mark II is living up the the Acme reputation. It seems that I have an electrical failure of undetermined nature.
So here is what we have: The latest and greatest DAX Gen IV F80, a little over 150 miles on her. The first CDI came from my original kit same with the kill switch, 1500+ miles of use, Magnocore spark plug wire and NKG B8HS plug gapped at .30.
Massdrive and I had completed a 40 mile ride without any electrical issues. A couple of hours later I go to take a ride and no spark... Hmmm.. So after checking all connections, disconnecting the kill switch, checking the plug etc. Looking around at the forum I found THIS post. And after testing as recommended the coil came back fine. However, testing Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire on the CDI came back infinite instead of the 130-150 K-ohms. Bad CDI. So I ordered a new CDI.
Got it in yesterday. WOOT!! Unscrewed the crappy stock wire, carefully screwed in the magnacore wire from the old CDI. Hooked up the connections and I was running again! Took it out for a couple of short test rides, not even a city block. I rode her back and put her away for the night.
TODAY, I go out, double check all the connections zip tie things down and TRY to go on a brief ride. Nope... No spark, again. What the ????
So I clip the zip ties and disconnect the kill switch, check all conenctions, still nothing. Break out the multimeter, and back to no reading across the black and blue. Did I fry ANOTHER CDI? Is it possible? I am still getting the correct readings across the coil.
I am stumped. Any assistance that y'all could offer would be great. Thank you!

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
It seems the coil was also bad. I tested the new CDI on an old engine cranking it with a drill and it worked so I installed the coil in the new engine with the new CDI and everything is good.
I tested the old CDI with the old coil and still nothing. So apparently both went bad. Is that normal for both to go out around the same time?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I hope that things are good now. I can think that the coil was maybe intermittent. The CDI was bad for could it be of the possible intermittent coil. Then you ended up replacing both.

I have besides my motor bike which I left as is the old points system Briggs engine instead of upgrading to a electronic conversion module.

I was though gifted a problematic gas run electric generator. The generator has no points. The electronics are built into the epoxy on the magneto so you can't replace one without the other. The measurements were OK, but eventually not even intermittent, just no spark any more at all. I have the whole thing on order to replace.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=538976#post538976 The generator fixing

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=16 Off Road Trail Bike

Last edited: