lost spark motor wont run

GoldenMotor.com

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
so im having a prob with my motor started it up today it ran for a bit was letting it warm up and it just died and wouldnt start again took the spark plug out to check spark i only get spark when the motors turning fast enough is my magneto dead or is it the cdi

on a side note i took the magneto cover off and some fluid came out not sure if it casue the coil to short out or what

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Fluid" or gasoline/oil coming from the magneto cover is a sign that the crankshaft seal behind the magneto rotor (magnet) is defective. That area should be dry.
If the seal is bad it can allow an excess or air to enter the crankcase making for a lean condition which can cause you problems.
Use the Google Custom Search feature, key word, 'crankshaft seal' to read a lot of information on replacement.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...5#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=crankshaft seals&gsc.page=1

Tom

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
i checked the motor a few times after trying to get it to start and the cylinder seemed to be coated with fuel and even putting the choke on did nothing to get it to start i get no spark unless i get the engine spinning fast enough i have to be pedaling at least 14 to 16 mph to get some spark and even then its not enough to get it to run it just pops once then nothing

also the fluid was clear and had a hint of gas oil not alot and it may have jsut been me smelling it from the motor

Last edited:

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
did a little searching and messing around with my mag turns out it was dead no reading between the blue and white wires but got a 3 ohm reading of the white wire and the black

took out my solder gun after reading about bad solder joints re-flowed all the solder joints on my magneto and wouldn't ya know got a reading of 297 ohms should be good to go. gonna wait till morning and put it on the bike and see what i get