do these china 2 strokes have head gaskets?

GoldenMotor.com

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Hi - I'm new and just got my kit \m/ >.< \m/ was putting it on my bike and because of clearance issues I had to flip the head around. When I took the head off I saw there was no head gasket yikes

Was wondering if these 2 stroke 66cc motors are supposed to come with a head gasket installed

Kit I bought was from boygofast ( saw his crap reviews ).

biken stins

Jul 11, 2008
You should run a head gasket.
There is usally one installed. Some kits will have a extra one in kit.
Order a couple. be sure you get one with the right size holes 6mm or 8mm.
While you had the head off did you locktight the head bolts to case ?
Would suggest you do it to all the bolts. Then the nuts when you put it back together.
Have had good luck with BGF. A GGG engine from them still starts righ up and runs fine. Got in 2008 has 3000+ miles.
Dependable.
Head was switched to a slant. MM intake. Muffler has been replaced a couple times.
Read through the posts and you will find many things to do to make it run well and last longer.
Good luck.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Thanks man - I was sure it was supposed to have one. It didn't come with any extras besides the exhaust gasket. Heart breaking because been waiting a week to get the kit and now bike and motor is in pieces in my kitchen - lookin like its gonna be like that for a nother week or two till I get paid hahaha
Gonna have to order new clutch lever aswell because it snapped while mildly tightning - any suggestions on where to get the parts I need and how to tell size of head bolts so I can order the right gaskets the first time
Thanks again

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
That sucks, especially on your first kit. The intake/exhaust studs are 6mm's, so if those nuts don't fit on your head studs, then they're 8's :p

You could try cutting open a pop can for a gasket if your really strapped. Get it flat and punch the stud holes first, then snug it on the engine before cutting out the center. That'll give you a good imprint for cutting out the center.

Or if you can wait, the sponsors on the sides and top can hook you up. Check different ones for best prices/shipping prices.

gl.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
First off I want to welcome you to the best MB forum I could find. Not only do we have a wide range of knowledgeable members, but also and the most active, should you have questions, the response time is really fast.

We have numerous “stickies” that cover just about any aspect on all MB’s, along with a “SEARCH” function. Although at times it isn’t the easiest to use. This is due to that the title of the post that isn’t specific enough. Posting titles like “Help” doesn’t help others doing a search, and I and others tend to pass them up at times, only going back a later time, which makes an answer longer to get.

Should you have a question, and to make it easier on members, Please state specifics about your subject, such as if you have a engine problem, tell us what engine you have, along with any other important information that we night need to help you, like what carburetor you have, if known. A picture is always helpful. Like the saying goes….a picture is like a 1000 words, also we may see something that might needs to be addressed. Believe me; it happens more often then you think. We know that there are those that are not that knowledgeable, or are mechanically challenged (unusually, PC correct :>), so there is not a stupid question, although I do think that sometimes there are some, so bear with me. Hey what do you expect with 50 years of wrenches in my hands, but we all had to start somewhere.

For those that are not knowledgeable on the terms of parts on a China 2 cycle (some are specific to these HT engines), here is a link that lists about every HT part. It is real hard for me to understand what a “thingy”, “whatcha ya call it” “thing of a jig” is.
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/2stroke-parts-c-4.html?osCsid=ges5a73qhdeuvshi19srjuq544

I have a link in my signature that everyone starting out with a Chinese 2 cycle ought to read. Most are also included in many of the “stickies” This deals with pre installing a HT engine in the frame, engine not running correctly and more.

Once again, welcome to the world of MB’s, and have a safe, enjoyable riding experience.
Ron

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Ok - update - they mailing me new gasket yay - so untill it gets here I made one from a monster can \m/ worked great went for a test ride and heard popping so I shut it down and pedaled back to the house
When I got home I opened up the clutch cover to find metal shavings and ball bearings gears are pretty chewed up aswell - is this fixable for now I'm scrapping this engine and ordering another on payday probably from thatsdax if I can find one (read lots of great reviews about duane and his products)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
the engine is done for unless you are able to split the case and repair most of the bottom end. Remember one thing. The sellers do not manufacture the engines. the engines are mass produced in china as cheaply as possible with no quality control, and the sellers buy them wholesale, usually in lots. you might get a great engine, you might get a dud. dax does have good reviews, and i believe he inspects all his engines before selling them. he also warranties everything. write the engine you have as a loss and install a new one. remember to mix the proper amount of oil in the gas for breakin. a little extra wont hurt, but too little will burn up the engine.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I opened up the clutch cover to find metal shavings and ball bearings gears are pretty chewed up aswell
Huh? That would have nothing to do with the top-end. That's brutal there was bearings floating around. Sounds like the clutch pressing flew apart. That's a new one. You can get replacement clutch assembly's and small gears. But I'd talk to where you got it from.

Pics speak louder than words, have any handy?

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
I do have pictures - a ridiculous amount of them that I took with my phone as I was doing build but unfortunately I'm unable to upload them because I can't resize them
I can describe the situation pretty well - heard popping opened cover, and metal shavings, small steel bearings (look like mini BBs) and chewed up geras on both the big gear and the small one

I really don't know alot about these engines saw these forums and thought would be fun project for me and my son ( he's way young, gonna be a second grader next year ) to do together and so I pulled the trigger and bout first kit I ran across on ebay thinking even if it was a dud we could rebuld it

Now since I've got the kit had it on bike less than a day and demolished it hahahah was great fun while it was running, which is why imma buy a new engine
Ill set the old one aside and do my best to make it bullet proof and then have a sik spare for when the next one dies ;D I will deff be seeking advice when rebuilding the old but I'm tired from this roller coaster of a day and will see what tomorrow brings

Thanks to all who responded to my posts, your quick response time allowed me to get some of the parts I needed mailed from the guy I bought it from, I have to say btw after seeing all his bad reviews personally found that service wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - he responded to every email so far and been happy to assist me any way....
Thiis is a ridiculous amount of fun and I am totally hooked \m/ >.< \m/ these things and you people rawk

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
They're a learning experience, for sure. Before you pull the trigger on a complete engine, check these out:

Small gear: $4
http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/crankcase/small-bevel-wheel.html

new clutch assembly: $20
http://www.gasbike.net/bike-motor-p...ike-motor-part-complete-assembled-clutch.html

From our trusty sponsors.

BGF seems to get the bottom of the shipping bin discounted kits that have been half crushed by something, (intact kits probably)... at least he's sending you a head gasket, so that's something.

gl.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
remember to mix the proper amount of oil in the gas for breakin. a little extra wont hurt, but too little will burn up the engine.
Maybe suggesting the proper amount would be more help. (break in 24:1 then after that 32:1-40:1, or even 50:1 with synthetic.)

Do you know that adding too much oil is as bad as not using enough?