Cranbrook brake question

GoldenMotor.com

bc2013

Dec 8, 2009
Las Vegas
I have a Cranbrook and the rear wheel is loose. When I apply the brakes (pedal backwards) the wheel is tight. When I got to ride it and pedal forewards the wheel is "loose". Would anyone know what the problem would be and how to fix it. Thanks for your time.

sphilsaw1

Jun 18, 2009
Rochelle IL
there are brake shoes inside a coaster brake when pedal backwards and put pressure on the inside of the hub that makes the wheel feel tight. just loosen up one of the rear wheel nuts and tighten the nut on the inside of the rear drop out until u start to feel the axle tighten up then tighten the wheel nut back and see if the wheel has no play in it. that will be a quick fix to see if it was just a loose wheel.

bc2013

Dec 8, 2009
Las Vegas
Thanks for the quick response. I tried it and it seemed to work. I tightened it all the way, but not sure if i'm supposed to tighten it that tight. So I loosened it up a bit so that the "arm" that comes off the wheel and fastens to the frame will rotate freely and that brought me back to my same dilemma. Not sure if that's right or if I should tighten it all the way really tight. Thanks again.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You need to make it just tight enough that there is no freeplay. Not "tight". It's a very tricky adjustment, but can be done with a few tries. Best bet is to get a set of cone wrenches, which makes things 100% easier.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I had the same problem with a Cranbrook.
As mentioned there are two nuts on each inside, one to tighten up the hub, the other to lock it in place.
It takes two wrenches.
Break the two nuts apart, snug up the inside one, hold it in place and torque the other nut to it.
If it is either always too tight or it has slop, you may have toasted the bearings riding it loose for too long.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
not to be a wise cracker but i have a cranbrook too with major wheel issues i recomend ditching it for a worksy wheel thats how to fix it

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
not to be a wise cracker but i have a cranbrook too with major wheel issues i recomend ditching it for a worksy wheel thats how to fix it
Kinda have to agree here but if you have your wheel off don't just tighten up the bearing cones without taking it apart and greasing the bearings with some quality grease or you WILL be replacing the wheel in about 200 or so miles like I did.