Use synthetic oil for new 66cc engine break in?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... there's more than one school of thought on this...

My suspicion is that if you use a high end quality synthetic and a heavy mix, you may be simply prolonging your break in period, I used "el cheapo" brand oil for my initial break in then drained, flushed, and switched to Amsoil synthetic once I got my miles in.

*shrug* It could a be all in my head tho lol ;)

hotrodbrothers

Sep 9, 2009
cali
I just did as i was told this is my first MB i used synthetic i got at home depot and mixed it 16-1 for the break in and i will be going to 25-1 after that. as stated in the instructions. what kind of ratios do you guys use on your bikes?

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Now that mine's all nicely broken in I use Amsoil 50-1 synthetic injector oil @ a 32-1 mix. There's just a touch of smoke at startup but that goes away quick, the plug and cyl are clean and she seems to love it :D

Yet you'll get different answers from just about every member here lol, it may be best to experiment yourself to see what your bike likes ;)

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
I have 2 mb's and used different type oil . One goes like a rocket ( 50cc cheap ass oil that had been in my shed for years ) and is a better ride than my other bike ( 66cc fresh synthetic ) they both have similar kms 300od

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Just use 1:100 Opti-2 from the start.

Steve
I put 8 miles on my new motor yesterday using pennzoil non synthetic....Then after all the rave about opti-2 I called the company up and he told me it is for brand new motors and for break in....So I went down to the hardware store and bought a pouch 1.8oz and by my calculations it is around 71:1 ratio with on gallon....I was not that brave so I put 3/4 of a gallon in my can and added the 1.8oz opti-2....Now if im right that is a ratio of about 50:1....I put 1.5 miles on her before it got dark and was having a panic attack the whole time....you know hearing engine sounds that I was amaganing....I have been not driving over 15mph....Im going to take her out in the next hour and do a 5 mile drive and see how she does in this texas heat....Wish me luck and pray for my new little china girl....I would hate to have to do another mail order bride to replace her lol....
John-John.shft.

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
Dont be soft. I broke mine in at 1:100, in Australian heat. It will soon become more expensive than other oils if u mix it at 1:50

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Dont be soft. I broke mine in at 1:100, in Australian heat. It will soon become more expensive than other oils if u mix it at 1:50
Well I have been pulling the plug every 5 miles to see how it looks with the 50:1 opti-2 mix and it is wild....It is running way to rich....Im going to go down and get another pouch 1.8oz and mix with a gallon....That would be 70:1 and try that....I think the 100:1 is were I will end up,but for now im going to cut back a little at a time and keep an eye on my plug....Im telling you my plug is oily at 50:1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Its wild how good this oil works!!!!!!!!

John-John
dance1

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
I will be breaking my next engine in with non synthetic, then after break in switch to synthetic . Too longer wait for the extra power and speed of a broken in motor.

hotrodbrothers

Sep 9, 2009
cali
i broke in my engine at 16-1 on synthetic with no problems after 3 tanks it has tons of power (even does wheelies now that i put a slant head on it) i will be moving to 25-1 for my next tank i had no idea that you could run these things with as little as 100-1 mix that is just crazy to me

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
i broke in my engine at 16-1 on synthetic with no problems after 3 tanks it has tons of power (even does wheelies now that i put a slant head on it) i will be moving to 25-1 for my next tank i had no idea that you could run these things with as little as 100-1 mix that is just crazy to me
I used a mix of 16:1 Pennzoil for the initial beak-in....one gallon....backed off and went with 32:1 Pennzoil again....a lot less smoke and a lot more power....so far so good...."The Scream" is working quite well....I have few if any hills here ..( Florida )....but the ones I do encounter aren't an issue whatsoever....after letting the bike sit for a couple days and go out and fire it up all I have to do is pedal it ...say...30 feet...pop the clutch....fires right up.....by the time I'm at the corner of the road I drop the choke off and man does this b*tch fly........no synthetic at all.....this is my first build and a complete learning experience....I was told ..( by RedB66 )....and have also read....that each bike and kit is different....expect the unexpected......

Laters,
Salty.shft.