Different Style Tanks?

GoldenMotor.com

MattLGiberson

Apr 23, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Hey guys,

Just wondering where I can get a more motorcycle style tank? I don't really care for the ones that you get in the kits. I'm looking for something a little more fitted to the frame. Any suggestions?

manyguns

Mar 25, 2009
wisconsin
The fake tank on my bike had all the right lines, so I'm making it into a functional tank. I had to braze the halves together and I need to come up with a new way of mounting it. Of course I will also have to ad a petcock and filler cap. I am using plumbing fittings for those. I don't like the looks of the kit tanks either, as they look "added on." I wanted the "board tracker " look. You can see the tank in my Avatar. I'll try to post some pictures at a later time.
Good luck.
Tom

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I'd check out egay...oops, ebay. The have a plethora of tanks from jap to harley. Don't go with one of the "custom" chopper tanks. They usually want an arm and a leg for them. Go with stock. You can pick one up for a little as 20 bucks or so. When you get these used tanks, make sure there's no rust in them. If there is, you can Kreme it. It's a compound used to treat gas tanks. I was thinking of using a classic sportster tank. They're about 1.75 gallons. Real classic look and could probably fit fine on any bike frame. I was thinking of getting one and Frisco mounting it. Frisco mounting is a chopper term where the tank is mounted on top of the back bone, instead of straddling it.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
actually check out this website. Website go to the parts page and seach until you get to gas tanks. They go from about 40.00 to over a bill. They ship. The less expensive ones obviously need some work.

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Hey guys,

Just wondering where I can get a more motorcycle style tank? I don't really care for the ones that you get in the kits. I'm looking for something a little more fitted to the frame. Any suggestions?
Here's some pics of a Harley Sportster 883 tank, 1986 that I mounted to
my bike. It really gives it a "motorcycle" style look to it, plus I have 2 gallons
of fuel capacity and a quality petcock valve. I get a lot of compliments on it.

Attachments

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
Wow Outrunner, that tank looks like it belongs there! Good looking bike.
I used a tank from an early model Suzuki JR50 (kids dirt bike) I think it looks pretty good but I wish it was a little bigger. It holds about what a kit tank holds.

Attachments

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Hey Marvin, I like that tank that you used too. It mounts OVER the
frame rather than on top of it and looks great! I hate the look of the stock tanks, they sort of resemble an adult wearing a childs hat that's too small!! What an extraordinary exhaust system you made, does it perform well?
Outrunner

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
Yes, I am very happy with the exhaust system. It has tons of bottom end. I designed it using a program I found somewhere on this site. It is called JavaPipe or something close to that. I weigh 300+ pounds and the bike will pull well from just above idle, and that is with a 34 tooth gear. I am sure the Mikuni carb helps some, too. I don't know how much the pipe and other mods helped the engine as I never ran this engine with the stock parts.

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
Ooops, I just realized, that is an old pic. That is with 49cc motor and a modified pocket bike pipe. The bike now has a 66cc motor with the pipe designed usin the Javapipe program. Here's how it looks now.

Attachments

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Wow Outrunner, that tank looks like it belongs there! Good looking bike.
I used a tank from an early model Suzuki JR50 (kids dirt bike) I think it looks pretty good but I wish it was a little bigger. It holds about what a kit tank holds.

That's a real nice bike. It looks like an old bobber.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ooops, I just realized, that is an old pic. That is with 49cc motor and a modified pocket bike pipe. The bike now has a 66cc motor with the pipe designed usin the Javapipe program. Here's how it looks now.
This is probly my fav pict of this bike that is sweet!

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
sojudave and goat herder, thanks for the compliments on the bike. I have put a lot of time in on it and although it is running and rideable now, it is not (and probably never will be) "finished". I enjoy working on it too much to get finished:) And there are too many good ideas from the other members here that I want to try.

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
That is exactly what it is. Listed on ebay as a chopper or bobber seat. It is very comfortable. Making the rear bracket for it to sit on was very time consuming. The front bracket was easy. I took the steering head off of an old mongoose trick bike and tightened it inside a piece of seat post. Then I cut a piece of handlebar and brazed nuts on both ends and put it in the steering head.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I put a Hodaka chrome tank on my Monark/5.5 Jiang Dong along with 50 cal. ammo boxes on the carrier. The tank holds 3-1/2 gal. I like it and that's the bottom line.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Here's the one I made

Oh man, did you make those wood fenders? If you didn't, where'd you get them? If you did, here's a thought. How'bout wood lams for the gas tank? Not saying the gas tank is ugly. I like it. Just thought a wood accent for the tank would really look good. I saw your bike and was thinking I had some koa stashed away somewhere. I could mill the boards to make lams for a fitted gas tank as my PB project progresses. Sure wish I were still doing sheetmetal. :( Now I gotta find someone who can make me a custom fitted tank. That's going to hurt. :(

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I put a Hodaka chrome tank on my Monark/5.5 Jiang Dong along with 50 cal. ammo boxes on the carrier. The tank holds 3-1/2 gal. I like it and that's the bottom line.
you gotta post a pic of the bike with that tank. I'd love to get my hands on a chrome hodaka tank.