A More Reliable Motorbike Trip.

GoldenMotor.com

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Easy 2 Stroke Modifications.

I've been trying to make my bike as reliable as possible and figured some of these tips might be useful.
C. Zip tieing Spokes
D. Puncture Resistant Tires
E. Reducing Clutch Noise
F. Exhaust Rust Removal
G. Chain Rust Removal and Lubrication
H. Sprocket Vibration Dampener

A. Stronger Motor/Exhaust Bolts
Difficulty: **
Time:**
Est. Cost: $10
Supplies: Hack saw, vice grips, Hardened tensile bolts (The red ones at NAPA), threadlocker
1. Take the existing bolts out of the engine by adjusting the vice grips properly and remove them by turning counter clockwise.
2. Measure them and make marks on the new bolts
3. Cut them to the appropriate length using the hack saw
4. Put the bolts in finger tight and make a mark on how far they are in the engine and take them back out.
5. Put threadlocker on the part that will be in the engine and tighten as tight as possible with your hands, do not use vice grips or you will ruin the threads.

B. Stronger Rims
Difficulty:**
Time:***
Est. Cost: $75
Supplies: (amazon.com) Wheel Master 12 gauge spoke rims, 5 speed freewheel, electrical tape, clear spray paint
1. Hang the wheels with fishing line or string
2. Paint with clear spray paint, at least three coats (I did five), they will rust if not painted.
3. Take down and line the inside of the rim with electrical tape until no spoke nipples are protruding
4. Put freewheel on rear, place on carefully and turn clockwise, it will tighten itself once on.

C. Zip tieing spokes
Difficulty:*
Time:*
Est. Cost: $4
Supplies: Small zip ties, scissors
1. Put zip ties around where the spokes overlap and tighten (In theory its a shorter spoke length making stronger spokes)
2. Cut the excess off the zip ties

D. Puncture resistant tires
Est. Cost: $5
Supplies: Gorilla tape or duct tape
1. Line new tires with plenty of tape, much harder with new tires

E. Reducing clutch noise
Est. Cost: $2
Supplies: 1/16th in. rubber sheet, 1/8th in. rubber sheet (both available at Lowe's in the pluming section), scissors, super glue, flat head screw driver, spray paint (optional)
1. Remove clutch cover, but leave the green gasket if possible
2. Cut the 1/16th inch rubber to fit inside the clutch cover, this takes longer than expected but take your time.
3. Put super glue or spray adhesive on the 1/16th inch rubber piece once done cutting and stick it on the inside of the cover.
4. Now cut the 1/8th inch rubber to fit on the outside of the clutch cover
5. Spray paint it with a matte or flat spray paint, it will need a few coats because the paint doesn't stick to the raw rubber.
6. Put super glue or spray adhesive on the 1/8th inch rubber piece once done cutting and stick it on the outside of the cover.

F. Exhaust rust removal
Est. Cost: $7
Supplies: Steel wool, Never Dull, Rag/old shirt, Adjustable wrench
1. Remove your exhaust
2. Rub the steel wool on it until all the rust is gone (might look like brushed aluminum or scratched)
3. Rub never dull on it until satisfied with shine, will also help prevent rust
4. Wipe the never dull off
5. Reinstall exhaust, if lock washers are flat you should replace these

G. Chain rust removal and lubrication
Est. Cost: $5 ?
Supplies: Automatic transmission oil, bucket/pan, wire brush
1. Take the chain off my removing the master link pin, hold the clutch in, and pull
2. Scrape the rust off by scrubbing the chain with the wire brush, water or grease can be added if too dry
3. Put the chain in a bucket or pan and fill it with automatic transmission oil until it covers the chain, this will soak in and lubricate the pins so the longer the better but leaving it soak overnight should be fine.

H. Sprocket Vibration Dampener
Supplies: Automotive cork or 1/8th inch rubber sheet (plumbing section at lowe's), Spray adhesive, Exacto -sp?- Knife, Ruler/tape measure, Marker, Matte spray paint
These numbers fit my 44 tooth sprocket
1. Measure your sprocket, it should be about 7 1/4 inches from tooth to tooth
2. Put a dot on what looks to be the center of your piece of rubber
3. From that dot measure 3 1/2 inches from their and keep making dots, making enough dots so that you can cut out a circle.
4. From the center dot, measure 3/4 inches (a little smaller will be okay, .7 inches is exact radius) and make enough dots to make another circle like step 3.
5. Put your sprocket over the piece of rubber and make sure the center dot is in the exact center of middle hole in your sprocket and poke a whole big enough to fit the bolts through in the nine holes.
6. Once all of this is done, cut out the center circle with the exacto knife.
7. Cut the outer circle out of the rubber.
8. Spray paint (I did flat black).
9. Spray on adhesive and carefully place on the sprocket.

If you think of more, please post them, and i'll add them and try to make a big list.

Sorry for being so obvious on some of these, tried to type these so somebody who's never road a bike before can do it lol. I will be adding quite a few more but i have to go for now.

Last edited: