How Fast are You going? - I wana know

GoldenMotor.com

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
i
i mean just today i went 78mph down a sidestreet with my mom pacing me in her mini van. backwards...:)
lmao , thats some impressive driving skills !!!
last time (only time ) I did that I folded a clean 72 nova around a telephone pole an I wasnt going that fast !

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I did like 30mph backwards with a teammate with the pit golf kart one time and we almost lost control and hit a parked car! hehehehe

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The flat out blue printing a H.T. motor for the most part I have to admit one can be quite taken with them. I was.
...They are nothing like the beastly uber kewl potential panic of a rocket launching Morini IMO.
You should take that out to one of the sanctioned races! K.C.!
The famous Death Race is right where you are at?

Only a couple hundred miles to Tucson, and I have been with my bike and family for one so far, but that NuVivci Dev Kit hub failed a week before. I bought an entry fee anyway and it got me a round the track for a practice lap, but it wasn't any fun on the track and down right embarrassing.
I did however really enjoy the 'experience' of the whole race experience even though I couldn't actually race if you know what I mean, good people ;-}

If I'm not mistaken Death Race is in Fall, that should work for me.
I won't be taking the bike I hoped to never sell, but theer is such a thing as an offer you simply can't refuse when you want to try making something better and need the $ even if it was your pride and joy and the top of the line in town performance wise in the 66cc class.

This is how Bad Mojo looked before she was loaded up on the buyers truck.

If you have to sell something you treasure like I did today, it helps when you are impressed with what the buyer has done than you have with their rides to drive it away. I was in frick'n in awe with this buyers ride, and I know 4x4's way more than I share here becasue it is not related and I have my own forum for that too..

Just in case you might think this buyer was some pencil necked geek compensating for some manly short coming with a big truck, he is recently retired 25 year local fireman after ? years military service.

If you think the outside is impressive, I took a ride in it up to his bank so he could pull a grand cash to buy it with cash, and the inside was was like a jet airliner cockpit. NO **** guys, the pictures don't show crap, that is a $100+K vehicle, he wanted another 'good portable toy', and bought my ride.

I don't care who you are, if you can build something, ride it for a couple years, and then sell it for pretty much what your parts costs were over the years to a buyer that only wants the best and wants it now, you just can't help but smile about what you built, and then build your next even better one ready to be funded with the sell ;-}

Ya, Legal 4-stroke 3-speed shifter on a solid bike.
The motor/tranny stuff is nothing, I got that, but I am talking a new bicycle base...
Waaaaa!
Call it female type 'post pardon' depression parting with something you really loved for it's feel, kind of like that robe or blanket that is really comfortable and makes you feel safe.

(evening cocktails have kicked in, more later, gotta go before I start balling)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I fixed cars for a living, worked in paint and body shops, and on R.V.'s I will soon be back to wrenching. Seams the only job I can get is in a full service shop. No one wants to do this work or seams to have the heart or knowledge for it. Buying tools in our going economy now just can't imagine how hard that can be for a new young tech now days?

Seams the whole town is starved for a mechanic these days. Wrong time to be burnt out fixing other folks misfortunes in a failing disorganized industry aye?

Will be back to potentially hellish 15 hour days again. There are great days too! Prolly in another mom and pop shop. I like down to earth honest folk. Seams I am the few with the stomach for it. Talk about putting in do's to society. I have stories words cannot describe.

I got as much money in tools as my house. This is why at times I hate wrenching. At times gotta ask myself what life could have been like with out the luggage called a tool bill? Will beyond a shadow of a doubt be buying tools till I die....

Fixing what other engineers did passing the buck. I am plumb burnt out at times with even fixing my own stuff but i always do!:) This is why I hate the H.T. motors the most. They took up my time . Very bad passed the buck design. It is a symbol of the bad history that repeated it self to me in the mechanics industry.

The last two mom and pop type mechanic shops went out of business that I worked for. We had a big collection of cars that customers abandoned and leans were put on. The last boss I had was burnt out the day he hired me and one of the sharpest techs I ever had the privilege to work with.

when I was younger in bad times never ever hawked the likes of a tool ever! It would be the absolute worst thing to do. Was instinctive.

Where is the picture of the bike thrown in the truck? ''Hate to think he just threw it in there?

Here is a typical cargo run. Yes I still peddle especially in the winter and with ''more'' cargo then this at times. Think Backpack or wrapped around my neck ayup lol! http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28652&d=1283392806

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28653&d=1283392817

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc400/GoatHerder123123/001.jpg

My machines are tested not because I ramp them or do wacky cool grounds tricks they are simply hella well ridden.

Put in ''well'' over 50k miles peddling until 2008 lost track and seriously stopped caring about counting. Found a H.T. motor after reading a Science magazine on the crapper..

Had a ice fall leg injury that needed time. Fully recovered now! Took a walk about from wrenching for a few which helps as crawling on cement catches up with ya..Never did quit peddling or motoring during that time. Yup I got's the M.B. sickness.

These motors are in no way ''big dogs'' to me. I might have argued that for them at one time but I strived to find something, anything better. As necessity is the mother of invention. Race your bike off the line at the track with any of those Morini's that IMHO will definitely out live it!

Got plenty of 4 wheeled covered wagons in the drive way. They all run. Including a sweet old 4x4. Riding mopeds because it is pure pleasure of study for me! Been peddling all my life Flat out love every minute of it.

There is nothing cooler to me than a Heavy duty full sus bike that is very light weight and runs like the devil when I wanna.. All of my mountain bikes are full sus with touring gears. Never had a fascination for Spandex attire. Imagine I would'a looked manly in them tho;) I hear they are real darn comfy has to be all the craze. Gonna wait to I get way way older then mebbe I will wear them around the house and everything!

The little H.T. motors can be good motors I am just not fascinated with them anymore..

Here was my J shaft 5.8 H.P. remember? Motor is still cherry with 5 k on it runs like day one. http://youtu.be/q4INNy4zEkk I will not do another high powered J shaft. One chain to the rear that never wears out is just to darn simple and it works really good with this Motor!!

Thumper motors any 4 stroke for me or any legal size 4 stroke and of course a 49.8 cc legal Morini baby. I have 4 of them now. Now I am feeling kinda chuby ''not misty'':dnut

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
With my 66 slant head with a shifter kit, x chamber exhaust, ported heads, restrictive intake, and dellortto clone, I'm topping out at 39mph with a whole bunch of four stroking. Still dont know what size jets these guys use. I usually cruse at ~35mph around town. oh and its a 29'er

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
With my 66 slant head with a shifter kit, x chamber exhaust, ported heads, restrictive intake, and dellortto clone, I'm topping out at 39mph with a whole bunch of four stroking. Still dont know what size jets these guys use. I usually cruse at ~35mph around town. oh and its a 29'er
Quote from a fellow that prolly lives very near your elevation.. one size smaller is a #71 drill bit or 68mm jet. That 29er sounds like a great bike!

If you do not want to drill and solder a jet check here!:)

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ucts_id=154&osCsid=blko6q3712e1b28bqkl63am826
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ucts_id=116&osCsid=blko6q3712e1b28bqkl63am826

In general, I have to re-jet one size smaller on every 'performance' HT engine that I build!
I'm lovin' the RT carbs these days, but they too need one size smaller. (one size smaller is a #71 drill bit or 68mm jet.)

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I can't speak for H.T. motors, never tried one of their kits.

Sounds like you guys that have tend to have to put a lot of extra time into them to make them go.

The only 2-strokers I have ever used is Skyhawks made in the Chinese JiangYan YuanDong gas engine factory and exported by China Gas.

Granted I live in Phoenix, a mere ~1100 feet above sea level and usually bone dry air so I don't have to dick with jetting and all the other stuff you much higher altitude or water saturated high humidity air guys have to deal with.
Ya, Phoenix is a good place for motorized bikes, especially right now, thats why Death Race down South in Tucson is so ideal ;-}

But as mentioned I let my baby go yesterday and working on exactly what bike I want for a Jackshafted center frame mounted 4-stroke 3-speed.
Then, exactly what I can get away with for performance enhancements.
Custom Turbo Charger and maybe even NOS?

I am no lifetime mechanic like some of you, I have been a computer geek half my life and don't particularly like getting greasy and turning wrenches either, but again like many of you I was gifted and schooled to 'problem solve' in a McGiver kind of way and ever since my very first build I just couldn't help but be intrigued with these bikes we make, and how I might make them better ;-}

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I can't speak for H.T. motors, never tried one of their kits.
HT= "happy time" it's a inexpensive 2 cycle motor kit made in China AKA. Skyhawk etc. Just breeze through here!
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...b=0&gsc.q=what does H.T. stand for&gsc.page=1 I beleive you you got a lucky one! Prolly ran great! Still was only about 3 horse power at the most.

Not sure where my first Chinese two stroke came from H.T. China Girl all the generic names they go by. It ran rather well. Had the Brass bushing in the piston. I was the fastest kid on the block in that motor class! It only had about 3 H.P. Was a runner tho!

Your Happy Time Motor being 49cc as such had a different stroke and the crank would have been better balanced a a result. Like my 49cc Happy Time was.

Check what Four Easy did to a H.T. motor. He found out when the Horse power went up after putting a different brand make engine jug on it with better port timing and reed valves etc. This motor could suck in great wind and make very strong power that the clutch pucks slipped like mad.. I don't think he made it past 4 H.P. before it started happening? http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=14204 No Happy Times have ever beat a Morini in the sanctioned professional races to date. DFlanagan's engine is rated at around 15hp with the work he put into it now that's a big dog!
Then, exactly what I can get away with for performance enhancements.
Custom Turbo Charger and maybe even NOS?
Might read about this think? Good stuff here K.C.! http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=25023

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Nice tips and I read the thread, thanks goat.

Happy Times motors ehh? Are they? hehehe ;-}

I am talking a 49cc Huan Sang or 50cc Honda 4-stroke motor, not a no valves 2-stroke, though I toyed with the idea of a PC case type fan mounted to the air cleaner for my 66cc 2-stroke once ;-}

Anyway... since I built and rode a couple of 4-strokers I am really taken with them.
Pull start and regular gas, how can you not be?
Their problem is they have no low end balls when direct drive.
Get 'em up to speed and they rock though because the high end power is there, hence a 3-speed tranny, but I am not looking to set speed records, ~40 MPH is plenty fast enough for me, I just want to be able to pull that up-hill ;-}

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Built this bike as a learning tool to build a ground up land speed record bike for the under 100cc class at Bonneville. Then got the crazy or maybe stupid idea to see if this bike would do it. The first bike is a fixie type bicycle with a GT5 geometry 66cc bottom end. It has a balanced crank, heavily ported cases and cylinder, went thru a small pile of cut up and drilled out pistons, Rotung carb for fuel class and NT carb for the gas class, Briggs pulse type fuel pump. Our goal is 105mpg on pavement to hopefully break the 94mph record on the salt. Currently with an 18 tooth rear sprocket on 20% nitro methane blended with methanol and a 135lb rider it has a higher top speed than our little old Nissan Chase truck.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
After 3 months of going in circles with a major tire manufacturer and the engineering department killing the deal we are scrapping the fixie and the amazing little 66cc China doll that may actually be capable of the fuel record. We are going back to work on our frame that will run a Japanese 100cc 6 speed MX motor. Personally I am building a 4 stroke commuter that will probably get tinkered with to no end also ha ha. In short I think the China doll could break 100mph on nitro methane but only on non speed rated 700 x 25 tires so you can't pass tech making it pointless. A tiny rider is important also, the bike is over 15mph faster with the smaller rider on it. Also beating the fueling issues, even giving it 5psi at the carb with a huge jet and drilled emulsion tube we keep fuel starving after about 2 to 3 minutes no matter what we do which won't get us to the first markers at Bonneville. Happy Motoring all.

Last edited:

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
3 days old .. followed Maniac57s porting posts.
and a few piston mods.
30mph top speed on a 48T ragjoint, heavy mtb, bush tires, im 190lbs.
cruise around 22mph

for now ......lol

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Not bad at all for a brand new bike and a 48 tooth rear sprocket... it should top out around 35 or so once it breaks in... maybe even a little quicker...

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
Not bad at all for a brand new bike and a 48 tooth rear sprocket... it should top out around 35 or so once it breaks in... maybe even a little quicker...
thx.
i was quite surprised actually when i took it out and got what i did.
considering my other one(5yrs old, rebuilt twice) only did about 27-28mph max .. but i found that the bearings are shot in it.. so that could be a big reason.
looking at getting a 40T clamp style for the rear. should haul some serious butt then ;-) .xx.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Gps says i'm doing 26.4 mph at tops. I think i'm tuned up pretty well with no mods on a mountian bike with 44 tooth sprocket. this is with my 66/80cc (or whatever) skyhawk gt5 and the new pain in the ass cns carb.
So, how fast are you going? please tell me your engine, Mph, sprocket, bicycle type... I wana know! and no guesses please
Broke the 20 MPH speed barrier last week - had my "Goped" for 15 months now - made it 21 MPH on straightway!!

first time - usually she hits 19 and no faster.

4-stroke HS ("haushing........whatever) 49cc "Goped" scooter (11" tires 6" rims)

my "Flea Hopper" ---fuel tank support broke-off 2 weeks ago - but got it re-welded for 20 -bucks and all putt back together/on last week and then went out and made my speed record!

she's a "good girl"

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Earlier today I just went 22, because my Huasheng/chonda/washing machine burbles, snarls, and pops at that speed, just oozing along :D
lol. sounds like my rig on a good day. snap crackle and pop...pop....pop.

I'm "only" getting 85 mpg too. inefficient engine coupled to a single speed tranny is probably why.

I think otherwise a 49cc (like a fancy-smancy Honda Metropolitan) setup has several speeds/CVT, high compression engine, and fuel injection.

which = what? 130 mpg?

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Before I got sick of my 66cc 2 stroke breaking down all the time and am switching it to a more reliable engine, when I had that engine on the bike it could go 37mph top speed, and I could get it up to 43 with pedal assist, I weigh 150lbs, and I have a 36t sprocket with 29" tires, so that helps a lot. N

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Stock 66cc Skyhawk with NT Speed carb, #60 jet with needle clip 1 down from the top, MZMiami exhaust, 36t clamp sprocket, 26X1.75 Continental tires @55psi on a Huffy Big Daddy frame. I am a svelte 210lbs. 40.8mph.

(Just added a new Fred Head and everything went south --- was suggested that the base gasket fubared as it runs like crap even with the stock head back on it. More later.)

Last edited: