that fugly penut thank

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
that fugly penut tank

I hate the rinky dink look of the modern peanut tank. Is there a tank on the market that looks more like a whizzer tank that sits lower on the frame? I've seen real whizzer tanks on ebay but I don't feel right using a genuine honest to goodness whizzer part on with Chinese engine. The beer can tanks don't hold much and the rear rack mount may work but it gives my bike a lot of empty space up front. Ascetics are important to me. I'm shallow like that

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'm 100% with you on that....a gatorade bottle dangling off the handlebars with a pink flexi-straw looks better than any p-nut tank, anyday!!!

Me hates the look of the peanut tank on any build....looks tacky and caca.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yeah, to call these peanut tanks ugly is truly an understatement, but to get a different tank you will need to modify either a moped tank or a CRF50 clone tank to fit if you want something better looking.
I really like the tanks on the Arrow Racing bikes but hadn't seen those for sale, but they would give just about any build a much better look.
Otherwise, a custom hand fabricated tank always looks great, but you'll either need the skills to make your own or be ready to put down some serious cash to get one made.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have seen members do things to the kit tanks to dress them up a bit. On guy attached chrome body edging to the seam around the tank. Another member cut off that seam altogether.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I think the most affordable option is to get a rear rack tank then make a faux tank in front on my Schwinn Typhoon. It won't be as cool looking as a whizzer but it won't look as tacky as the stock tank. I change my mind a lot so who knows.
I've got plenty of time to think since Christmas was so danged expensive this year.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Wizzer tanks are cooler because they bigger, but still a peanut tank.

There are other ways to do tanks of course, it's about where you have room.

I have 2 tank projects going at the moment to loose the barnacle but it is slow expensive work it seems.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you considered a small motorcycle tank? Look for kid's dirt bikes or something like an 80cc Yamaha. FleaBay, or a local auto salvage yard that has a motorcycle section might be an option.

There are also new small motorcycle tanks available but you'll have to loosen the purse strings for some of them. $120 to $150 for a small chopper/bobber style. But like they say: "If you're gonna have a party, you've got to pay the band" :)

Tom

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Some sites have the 3 liter tank. I wonder if that makes the difference? I thought it was how it sat on the top bar that made it look so redonkulus but maybe it's pug ugliesness comes from the size