Electric Starter Retrofit

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Has anyone mounted an electric starter onto one of the the popular Tanaka/Mitsubishi/Subaru engines?

From one of these engines:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ardisam...371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ce1c1c0b

Does anyone have this engine handy? I'd like to know if it has a longer crankshaft on the starter side, for the additional electric start housing and components.

Does the engine block have mounting bosses for the electric starter?

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That is the same engine that is in my daughter's pocket bike. Yes, the crank shaft is different than the pull start only engines.
The starter is actually a dynamo. It both starts the engine and doubles as a generator when the engine is running.
Look up Chinese pocket bikes on the web for more info.
No, I have not tried to retrofit the dynamo onto a Tanaka/Mistubishi/Subaru.
I once was interested in fitting one onto my stand up scooter which has the same basic engine but pull start only. The local shop that was in business at the time told me that it would be cheaper and easier to just replace the whole engine and get the proper electronic dynamo controller/ regulator. However, at $250 for the combo I passed on the idea.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for replying.

Yes, it seems that this engine's crankshaft would have to be longer than normal.