Lady In Need of Advice

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Welcome, I agree for the most part w/ walks,tramp & joe. But "necessity is the mother of invention" so let him make some mistakes and possibly overcome some inherant problem in a clever way. And VOILA! you've invented Thneeds or doohickies or widgets!

Failure Can Be Fun!:ride2:

For example: I ate a chain yesterday when it derailed off my rear sprocket. I wasn't thrilled but I hated the stock drive from go. So heres an opportunity to find or MAKE some sort of thingamajiggi that not only fixes it but makes it better.

Failing Can Be Fun, and sometimes I gotta get mine!rotfl

Last edited:

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I suppose you are speaking of the 2 stroke 50 or 70cc Gru Bee or similar motor. I think the worst problem is vibration loosening nuts. I would recommend Loc Titeing everything you don't want to fall off. Also it is very important to observe the heavy oil mix for the break in period and not extending the motor during that period as the oil-rich mix means a gas-lean mix and can cook the engine wide open. Also, every run for awhile should be followed with re-torquing the head bolts after cool. I have found starvation at high speeds due to the restrictive fuel tap. I intend to install an inline filter and eliminate the fine screen in the tank. That's about all I know about these crudely made little things. They require care due to the metallurgy. I have yet to decide how to ensure adequate lubrication for the primary drive gears, which are quite noisy. At this point I have packed it with bearing grease and inserted a piece of currogated cardboard in as someone suggested to deaden the gawdawful embarrassing clatter. Helps a little. Next I will see if the case can contain a bit of differential lube without oiling down the clutch. If so, a filler and level plug will follow. I think quantity is the rule. It is a high-pressure lube containing sulfur. It is rough on brass or bronze. Good luck. You CAN do it.
Keith (trackfodder) Williams

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When I retired my son in law took over my business... not mechanics.... he and my daughter run it now.... the business has kept the marriage together a few times when things got rough... they need each other to run it...

It sure kept me and the wife together when person things got hairy,,,

TyDow

Sep 10, 2008
Wisconsin
Hello Frinds,

Thank you all so much for your great advice. It is so greatly, greatly appreciated. Sad new, my boyfriend (Dow) passed away Saturday. As for myself (Ty) at this time I am not sure if I am going to keep going with our plans or not. It does bring great comfort knowing that Dow loved is motor bike very much.

Again, thank you all so much and I will be back to visit soon. All prayers are welcome.

Ty

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello Frinds,

Thank you all so much for your great advice. It is so greatly, greatly appreciated. Sad new, my boyfriend (Dow) passed away Saturday. As for myself (Ty) at this time I am not sure if I am going to keep going with our plans or not. It does bring great comfort knowing that Dow loved is motor bike very much.

Again, thank you all so much and I will be back to visit soon. All prayers are welcome.

Ty
I am so sorry to hear about Dow...my prayers are with you Ty

David

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
TY
I have the same problem but I like working on my bike and have built others to sell. If he will not read and learn when he gets mad and walks away just pick up the tools and start working or just work on your bike (what made my guy mad was my bike was faster than his because of a little tweeking I did :) )

These engins are tough and will last a long time with basic matanance and making sure the gas and oil is mixed right and tighten the nuts that lossen up befor you go on your ride.

If you are making the bikes make sure to use lock tight (in a pinch I used clear finger nail polish) and the tires are in line that little wobble at 35 is not good.

PS print up the articals you like and make a bike book it will help.

old lady biker
Cookie