Low throttle setting as "kill switch" when stopped...

GoldenMotor.com

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Just wondering...

Does anyone have their bike's idle setting so low that releasing the throttle cuts the engine on purpose? I haven't adjusted my idle up yet and the bike behaves this way. I can see some advantages to it. First, if I don't want the engine to cut out I only have to hold the slightest of throttle pressure and it idles fine. Second, the engine starts up very easily and quickly when the clutch is released so restarting isn't an issue now. It seems that if I was stopped at an intersection and wanted quiet I'd only have to fully release the throttle but if I want to keep it going I could do that as well. The weather here isn't suited to riding much so I thought I'd ask folks personal opinions. Later, I'm sure I'll try it both ways to see what I think of it. Perhaps just hitting the kill switch will be my choice, I'm not sure at this point.

So how do you have your bikes set up?

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Your best bet would be to not even use the stock kill switch...it shorts out your magneto in a bad way...just close the choke and pull the throttle with the clutch disengaged...i cut my killswitch out altogether and haven't had mag issues since

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Your best bet would be to not even use the stock kill switch...it shorts out your magneto in a bad way...just close the choke and pull the throttle with the clutch disengaged...i cut my killswitch out altogether and haven't had mag issues since
Yes, I read all about these kill switch issues before I even installed the kit. This site is great for providing such info. So what I did was to install a toggle switch on the blue wire (hot wire) between the magneto and coil. Right now I have the toggle switch zip tied to the handle bars in easy reach. But I have ordered mini boat rocker switches that I will be able to fit into the throttle housing where the kit kill switch is today. Then I'll be about to switch on and off the circuit without releasing the throttle grip.

Link to mini boat rocker switches small enough to custom fit

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry, there is no sound evidence that the kill switch will harm the CDI. There are those who will say that because they've read it here but to date there is no proof. In fact the opposite is true. The biggest majority of us use and rely on the kill switch as a way to shut down the engine and as a safety device in the event of a broken/sticking or otherwise malfunctioning throttle.

If allowing your engine to die at low throttle is comfortable for you then by all means keep doing it but wire the kill switch (button) into the ignition circuit so you'll have it in case of an emergency situation. The two wires from the kill switch( wire colors are unimportant) spliced into the blue and black wires from the CDI is the best method. If the kill switch is defective, replace it preferably with a normally open momentary switch mounted for easy access.

Tom

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I am used to having a rocker style kill switch on my motorcycle so I prefer this style anyway. With a rocker switch, when it is in the "off" position, the engine will not run and I will leave it in the "off" position except when I want the engine to be running. I will be able to install the mini rocker switch in the throttle housing so all will be as it should be. :)

Regarding the low throttle setting, I was only wondering if anyone is running this way since these engines seem to start so easily. This way they would be sort of like the golf carts, etc. Probably I'll adjust the idle like normal. I was just wondering is all.

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Back to what you said about the kill switch damaging the magneto perhaps being a myth, let's assume for a moment that it is not a myth. Since the magneto is not a complicated device, what would be the actual failure caused by the short created with the kill switch? If the myth is true, then there should be some science to it. Some component of the magneto must fail from the operation of the momentary switch induced short.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
The kill switch is a saftey device not a stop button. If a cable broke or got hung up the kill switch might save you and your bike from harm

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Actually, it is the only "stop" button included in the ChinaGirl kits, so in this case it is the stop button and not just a safety device. Now, on my motorcycle I have a key switch which is what I normally use. So on my motorcycle the kill switch is a safety device.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
I did exactly that for the first month of riding as I got used to controlling the bike. Then I adjusted the idle screw and it's great. However, all my locking clutch handle pins fell off so I can't lock it on neutral at a light. pretty annoying actually.

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Hmm, will you be able to repair one or will you need to order a new lever?

The type of lever that came in my kit doesn't use a pin to lock it. Mine uses a smaller spring loaded lever to lock the main lever. What I don't like about this is that there is a lot of travel lost when I release the main lever before the locking lever catches. The clutch ends up dragging ever so slightly in the locked position. This is only noticeable when the rear wheel is in the air when the bike is on the dual leg kick stand. The rear wheel does not spin when the clutch lever is fully squeezed but it will spin some when the clutch lever is locked. I have the clutch cable adjusted as per instructions to have 1/16th inch of travel when engaged. Because of the travel lost, I was thinking about ordering the type of lever that uses the pin to lock it. If I do, I will be sure to secure the pin from vibration. Thanks. :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The weak link in the button style of locking clutch levers is the small 'C' clip that holds the button in the lever. They will snap off allowing the button and spring to pop out. I drill the button shank where the 'C' clip groove is and install a 1/16" cotter pin. I also put a 3/32 I.D rubber 'O' ring under the cotter pin. That reduces the shock to the pin when you release the lever and also stops that annoying "click" sound.

As for clutch cable slack. I don't allow any. I don't make the cable bowstring tight but there's no slack in the cable at the clutch actuating arm when the lever is released. My clutches are fully disengaged when the lever is locked and there's no slippage when they're released.

Tom

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
As for clutch cable slack. I don't allow any. I don't make the cable bowstring tight but there's no slack in the cable at the clutch actuating arm when the lever is released. My clutches are fully disengaged when the lever is locked and there's no slippage when they're released.

Tom
After reading this, I went out to the shop and with a turn on the cable adjuster the 1/16th slack is history. Thanks.