Motovelo?

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
There is no balanced crank on his engines, that's a load of carp.
OK, I wasn't sure if that was part of their regular kit or not, I do recall seeing something about balancing the crank on their site though...
I agree with the gist of this thread, most of these "mods" are pretty simple to do yourself, really you are just finishing up the manufacturing that was only roughly completed at the factory. At least that's how I look at it...
The only thing that would make me buy a worked over motor from someone would be if it came with a balanced crank. Since you need to use all the actual parts from the top end to balance the crank, a balanced crank set would have to include the better part of an engine if you were to buy one. So it seems the only reasonable way to get a balanced crank is to either get your own parts balanced at a shop willing to do the work, or buy a motor that has been balanced before you get it. It would be nice if someone was actually selling motors that have been balanced.....

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Yeah, you're telling me. LOL I would kill for a balanced crank, a few people have tried to balance them, even fewer have had success. The thing is, it's really difficult to balance these cranks without having your own auto shop/garange fully stocked with equip. There are other simpler (albeit less accurate) ways too. Hopefully one day we will find a dealer who makes truely balanced cranks and hopefully won't charge an arm and a leg for one. Unfortunately, motovelo is not one of them. :/

East82

Oct 17, 2011
SoCal
I had a bad experience w/ MV and won't deal with them again . 'nuff said.

However, offering / showcasing basic mods that even a novice like myself can do is not a bad thing. As an analogy; I work w /computers, networking, that sort of stuff and there are those who just want the computer to work and others who want to dive in and hack and tweak.

Most on this forum fall into the later group vis-a-vis MBs. There are some (first group) who will gladly pay for someone else to make a few simple mods, install the HT and do regular PMCS. That's my 1/5th of a dime.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
I had a bad experience w/ MV and won't deal with them again . 'nuff said.

However, offering / showcasing basic mods that even a novice like myself can do is not a bad thing. As an analogy; I work w /computers, networking, that sort of stuff and there are those who just want the computer to work and others who want to dive in and hack and tweak.

Most on this forum fall into the later group vis-a-vis MBs. There are some (first group) who will gladly pay for someone else to make a few simple mods, install the HT and do regular PMCS. That's my 1/5th of a dime.
i agree.
today i got asked by a tech supervisor to build him a computer today.
he work on slot machines that need to be fixed on the spot.
slot machines are just highly modified PCs.
sometimes people just want something done for them.
the same thing that goes about motovelo charging higher prices than people on E-bay.

Haughnph

Nov 6, 2011
El Paso
I would have to say one thing about their kits is that they change out the bearing and such. They push out the bushings on the push rods and replace them with what look like pilot bearings. The addition of bearings is a plus. On anything you can buy for these kits for extra performance. Buy the basic models they have. Just for what it is then, upgrades are cheaper and easier from there.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I would have to say one thing about their kits is that they change out the bearing and such. They push out the bushings on the push rods and replace them with what look like pilot bearings. The addition of bearings is a plus. On anything you can buy for these kits for extra performance. Buy the basic models they have. Just for what it is then, upgrades are cheaper and easier from there.
Do you mean on the push rod where the piston pin goes through? Mine came with a bearing there from Grubee, not a bushing. In fact, there were bearings in several places where I had read there were bushings...

Haughnph

Nov 6, 2011
El Paso
Do you mean on the push rod where the piston pin goes through? Mine came with a bearing there from Grubee, not a bushing. In fact, there were bearings in several places where I had read there were bushings...
No princess I mean on the crank shaft. The thing that bites for me on this forum is I can not find what I am looking for easily. I am a gear head I want an answer I can find it. Here I am at a loss for words..duh.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
One thing that would be kinda nice, if there was somebody selling a true "motor kit". I mean all the parts unassembled as far as it can be reasonably done. (probably need the crank set to be pre-assembled)
This way when you build the motor you can take your time and inspect and correct any flaws or imperfections, upgrade any parts that are cheap, and most importantly LEARN better what you are dealing with!
I know lots of people are torn when they receive a new motor, do I rip it apart to check things out, or do I check what I can externally and cross my fingers??? To rip apart a built motor is a task, building up from parts would be a much better way to go IMHO....

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
No princess I mean on the crank shaft. The thing that bites for me on this forum is I can not find what I am looking for easily. I am a gear head I want an answer I can find it. Here I am at a loss for words..duh.
sorry for my typo/brainfart... at any rate, I mean around the piston pin on my motor there is a needle bearing not a bushing... and I promise you I aint no princess! LOL

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
The thing that bites for me on this forum is I can not find what I am looking for easily. I am a gear head I want an answer I can find it. Here I am at a loss for words..duh.
Are you not finding what you are looking for when you search the forum????

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
They come with bearings nowadays guys. Nothing special motovelo did. He doesn't crack those cases open, trust me. He buys the standard engines which now come with bearings and calls them upgraded, yeah they are upgraded...... from the engines built 5 years ago when they used bushings. LOL All he does is dremel the slag out of his intakes and gaskets and calls them ported, charges extra for a simple mod and takes a $20 pipe from ebay and resells it for $60. Honestly people, he pumps up the prices of standard stuff and calls them high performance, he takes standard engines slaps a sticker on them and calls it the best kit ever. He inflates his prices of everything without actually selling what he claims he does. Buy a cheaper kit from another dealer and do the the mods yourself and save your money.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
They come with bearings nowadays guys. Nothing special motovelo did. He doesn't crack those cases open, trust me. He buys the standard engines which now come with bearings and calls them upgraded, yeah they are upgraded...... from the engines built 5 years ago when they used bushings. LOL All he does is dremel the slag out of his intakes and gaskets and calls them ported, charges extra for a simple mod and takes a $20 pipe from ebay and resells it for $60. Honestly people, he pumps up the prices of standard stuff and calls them high performance, he takes standard engines slaps a sticker on them and calls it the best kit ever. He inflates his prices of everything without actually selling what he claims he does. Buy a cheaper kit from another dealer and do the the mods yourself and save your money.
That's what I was trying to say.... My Grubee GT-5 66cc was manufactured 04-20-2011 and it has bearings in all these places stock...

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Exactly, I know you know what's up. That was aimed more towards the other person. (you know) who thinks bearings>bushings is a new upgrade in these engines. They have had bearings for a while now, I had one from I think late 09 that had bearings.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
good eye! thanks for the thread post. you're right, it looks identical. i have been wondering what a pipe from a kx 60 would perform like. I had one as a kid and it was a rocket. the shape is similar to the SBP pipe
I had already ordered a motovelo pipe at the time of reading about the identical pipes on Ebay, and had been waiting for 2 weeks. he randomly emailed me and said it would be coming in a week or two, so I said "nevermind, I'll take a refund" , thinking I'd get the one off eBay. he said " no way, all sales final, read the agreement on the order page". So, understanding my position in this, I said " ok, no worries". well, the pipe showed up 3 days after the eBay pipe I then ordered, and the difference is that motovelo includes a bent U headpipe, and a bolt-on exhaust manifold. I used a combination of these parts and the stock pipe to build the finished product. (forum says I already uploaded photo in expansion chamber designs page.)
I'm not sure the bracket and header is worth $100, but it is what it is. these bikes and parts are deceivingly addictive and expensive, like any good hobby should be! And although I lived in Santa Barbara for years, and have a kindrid "Loc" appreciation for S.B .Folks, I'd say get your stuff from Norm at Venice Motorbikes.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
That's what I was trying to say.... My Grubee GT-5 66cc was manufactured 04-20-2011 and it has bearings in all these places stock...
Hey I have a question... I've bought 4 engines so far, (all 66cc
's from different sellers) and none of them have had manufacture dates or names or plants, or those rectangular stickers/placards I see on the ones online in photos. how do you know whether the engine is old style, or new style? so far the only engine kit that matched the picture online was from eBay's zminglu and had those silly blue stickers and the weird exhaust pipe. It runs strong. narrow engine mounts on all 4. engines. ( i swap for wider ones that fit beach cruisers with Norm ) so, how do I get a needle bearing wide-frame-tube-mount strong running china girl with wide ports, etc...? any suggestions? too bad the RAW guy went underground...

Motorbikerider747

Dec 7, 2011
Gardena California
Every one don't go to Motovelo.us they are total ripoff from the other guys all engine are the same from same company they are ripoff they are nice to you if you new to them after that they I'll be mean and bad customer service we can just but the same engine kits for 180 up to 190 buck motovelo.us sell full price of 320.00 said it can be go faster they lie about every thing you need to buy extra 320 buck for 45 or 50 mph they charge you 62$ labor per hour for test and repair Norm is the best guy in L.A. Venice Motor Bike only charge 40.00 per hour so don't ever go to motovelo.us for Engine kits ask Norman he know but I did it know before.

nightwalker2253

Jun 23, 2013
South San Francisco
NEVER BUY FROM MOTOVELO!!!!
Not only were they super expensive from what I hear but I bought one of their 2 stroke 80cc engines. As I went through the videos for assembly there were parts missing, and parts that were "pre-assembled" were definitely not pre-assembled, and were also missing pieces. When we tried to call the guy for help he refused to answer or told us to email him within three days of getting the engine. Only problem I spent 3 days trying to put the damn thing together so he wouldn't send us replacement parts. This guy is a complete ******.
DO NOT ORDER FROM MOTOVELO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!