Can't pedal/ Rear wheel won't spin

GoldenMotor.com

peregrin

Jul 24, 2009
York, PA
Hi. Totally new, first post. I built the kit, hopped on the bike, rode down the drive where the chain popped off the sprocket, and now after reseating the chain I can't pedal or spin the wheel. It seems to lock up. Also my clutch arm is very stiff to pull and doesn't seem to do much of anything. Sorry I've never built anything like this before so I'm really lost. Any help would be appreciated.

peregrin

Jul 24, 2009
York, PA
Thanks Frank that was exactly what had happened. I fixed it and reassembled everything and then POW it bunched again. How do I stop it from happening? Is the chain too loose? Too tight? It looks fine to me, using the tensioner there is some slack.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Sounds like it is getting bunched up because it is coming off the sprocket. So the solution is to keep it from coming off the sprocket. This is typically an alignment problem. Make sure that the chain run both rear to font sprocket and front to rear sprocket are lined up. It may just be too loose too. Beveling the tips of the sprocket teeth can also decrease the chance of the chain popping off even with some minor misalignment.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
should have 1/ to3/4 slack in chain also look at the alignment of the sprockets, is the rear sprocket tight? no sid to side wobble? im sure iof you go slow and look carefully you will solve this let us know cause we all learn from others, and this sight is graet for that what a great bunch of guys and gals later frank

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm guessing that the rear sprocket isn't on straight...
Take the chain off & spin the wheel, Watch the sprocket turn & see if it wobbles in any direction (up & down or side to side) If it does, you need to fix it so that it spins perfect & true!!! Even a little wobble will cause problems!!!
Tell us what you find.

peregrin

Jul 24, 2009
York, PA
Thanks for all the help guys. The first problem was that the chain was sometimes hitting the rear fender and that appears to be what was causing the binding. Dremel fixed that problem but I'm guessing that there are alignment problems still because the chain will still pop off before I can get the motor started. I didn't have a chance to work on it today. But I will let you know what I encounter tomorrow. Thanks again everyone.

peregrin

Jul 24, 2009
York, PA
Success! The rear sprocket was a bit crooked so I adjusted until I had it as true as I could manage. It was better, the bike started running but would still invariably pop the chain. So I removed the tensioner and a link from the chain. It is now running awesome. I had it out for a good 10 minutes without a single chain pop! Thanks a lot gentlemen, I'm sure I'll be back on here with another question soon .xx.

TheMotheMan

Jun 14, 2009
Southern Minnesota
Here's my 2 cents on this. My back sprocket is as true as I can get it with my limited knowledge and tools, my chain kept popping off, I couldn't figure out why for the life of me until I saw it, the rear sprocket is just a bit too far out from the hub of the wheel and it does not line up w/ the sprocket in the engine, so the chain kept popping off on the inside of the sprocket next to the wheel. My first idler, with set screw got pulled into the spokes, the engine ripped the set screw right out and idler into the wheel, so $50 later and a new wheel, I did away w/ the idler, went to TSC and got some #41 chain, it's a bit wider than the 415 that my kit came with and it allowed for the small indifference in spacing of the front and rear sprocket. Also TSC sells a nice spring loaded idler that will mount to your seat down tube with a U bolt, I saw it installed on one of the threads on this forum, and it looked like a good setup, Much better than the crap idler these come with that when it fails will cause a catastrophic failure if you are going at a high enough speed. I believe you need to treat any moving part like the safety of a gun, it can and someday will fail, and if it fails you don't want to be on the business end.