1912 New Era

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
!!! WTF IS THAT??? Ughhh... I want one. NO! I want TWO! That one in red and one in green :) Where did you find this?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Have you thought about mowers like Dennis? Douglas made some sv single cyl industrials as well, also there are some Norman T300 generators around with what appears to be a flat twin sv.

Just an idea, a bad idea, but retro engineer a pushrod engine, expose the pushrods, rockers, springs? Also, in Oz you may well have had more US gear than Britain had, so you might get Waukeshas, Wisconsins and Maytags.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
We dont get many Maytags, ive only seen a Maytag single once on EBay and they wanted a small fortune for it.

I havent seen of or heard of the other engines you mentioned. We do however have available many 98cc Villiers Midget engines, also 125cc and 160cc Victa engines from lawnmowers. We also have Briggs and Villiers 4 stroke engines.

There are a number of other cool engines, ive been trying to track down a Howard 8, which were used to run rotary hoes. They are fairly rare from what i can gather. There is actually a Howard 8 on EBay now, unfortunately the current bid puts it out of my price range. But ill keep looking and asking. The Howard 8 would be ideal for a boardtracker IMO, they also make a Howard single cylinder and a Howard 12 which is an uglier looking water cooled engine.

Here is a howard 8 minus the cooling shrouds..... looks similar to an earley Harley V-Twin, dont you think?

http://www.howardregister.com/Images/Image-88.jpg

Here is the EBay link...... if any cashed up Aussies are reading this get ready to drool!!!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230834755558?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
A side thought - HD golf carts - the petrol ones used W45 engines or a derivative (late ones might have been K engines), how much do old golf carts go for?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
W45 engine? I never realised HD made golf carts. Normal carts are around a couple thousand $$$$$$. So id hate to think what a HD golf cart would go for.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Probably less than a bike, as there's less cobblers talked about them, and not a lot of people know what the engines are.

Have you seen the Youtube Buddfab 1905-ish bike? That might give you some ideas.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah ive seen Buddfabs video of that bike. Very cool and way beyond the realm of my mechanical knowledge and skill.

He also has a very cool Maytag twin powered bicycle. And he holds or has held a land speed record for 50cc enine. The guy obviously knows his stuff.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
As and when I build mine, it will be 1kw restricted, simple as you like, with as much bolted up stuff on it as I can get away with. Still wondering if a roller drive off a strimmer, though simpler, is workable in a country known for random rain rather than using a 2 stage chain reduction to the rear hub.