motor bike functionality?

GoldenMotor.com

jamespayne1986

Sep 3, 2008
Hello everyone, I just joined the forum. I was just wondering how much of my bicycles original funtionality would be maintained after installing a motor. How easy is it to switch between functions? I plan on using both functions equally, how realistic is this?

mralaska

Aug 16, 2008
Deerfield, NH
I think if you want maximum pedalling functionality you will go for a build that incorporates a freewheeling hub or a friction drive you can disengage when not in use. I used a chine fire kit which allows me to pedal the bicycle with the clutch disengaged but I am still dragging the chain around the sprockets. The drag is not something oppressive but I am aware of its existance. It does not bother me because I got the bike for exercise anyway but someone more used to pedalling freely might resent the extra friction. To me, the motor is just a kicker to give me more range.

jamespayne1986

Sep 3, 2008
Based on the little research that I've done I'd rather not use a friction motor, but could you tell me more about the freewheeling hub? I can't seem to find any information on it that I can understand.

mralaska

Aug 16, 2008
Deerfield, NH
Finding information easy to understand can be a challenge because often websites assume a level of understanding that someone new to the game just does not possess. Others with more knowledge might want to chime in because I have no personal experience with freewheeling hubs. I believe Staton Staton-Inc motorized bicycles bike kits and gear drive kits. offers a freewheeling Hub. The GEBE setup offers a belt system that they claim is very easy to remove and replace the belt from the wheel Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More. Also, I believe the crank that comes with the transmission kit from Welcome to Sick Bike Parts gives freewheeling capability to a china fire kit, as well as the ability to route the engine through your bicycle gears. There may be others, also.

(edit: I could be mistaken on the kits mentioned, someone feel free to correct me if so)

Last edited: