Removable Petrol Tank

GoldenMotor.com

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
After my last build was stolen the day after I got it running, I made a deal with my building manager who initially was uncomfortable with my keeping the bike inside due to the gasoline. When going in for the evening, I shut off the petcock last couple of blocks of riding in order to empty the carb bowl. Up until today I would unbolt the tank which took some time, and in the morning, reattaching was dicey, if not tight enough, at times my tank would invert upsidedown, pivoting on the crossbar and dumping gas on the hot engine. This was unacceptable. I've built a harness or saddle for the tank shown below attaching the brackets to the crossbar with steel strapping, Gorilla glue, and muffler clamps. Not using the nuts, I clamp the tank down with an old belt. Saves time and is more secure than the traditional method. There are various situations one may wish to remove their tank and this method was fairly simple and effective. tankmount.jpg

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
In the racing I used to do, some teams used RS125 Honda racing frames, and they have quick release tanks. There's an R clip and a peg on the frame at one end to hold a tab in place, and a rubber strap at the other. The pipe has a self sealing breaker in it, so refuelling was done by swapping tanks, as it was quicker and safer than pouring it in. You're doing much the same thing, as it's the most logical way to do it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very clever, Jol.

I have been thinking of trying velcro. Not kidding. straps where you'd expect it and reciprocal strips on the top bar and under the tank.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Will you get up and leave? How dare you go around being logical, sensible and cheap?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Lud...

==============

One out'a 3 ain't bad. (calling myself cheap) Ain't good, but ain't bad.

"I'll get my coat" Every time I see Jimmy Carr, makes me think of you. And not because you both atalk all funny like. snork

========================================================

I never realized how great Velcro works for MBs until I went for a ride with RusticoRay. He had a GPS Velcroed to his tank. On street, dirt roads and all the regular bumps and bounces, the thing stayed fast and didn't budge. We stopped for coffee and he just popped the thing off and put it in his pocket to go inside.

With a small cheap solar collector/charger, would be perfect. But really, I was amazed how well Velcro worked.

Sort of related but shows some stuff mounted using Velcro; http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=19238

Brought to you by the "People for Velcro" & "The better living through Chemistry, Coalition"