Afraid of dual-pull brake levers?

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yeah, me too. I just don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I figure eventually I'll brake (heh heh) down and get one, but for now, this'll do.

I haven't personally seen this one anybody's bike, so I thought I'd share. You can get them lined up with the adjuster screws on the side of the levers. Thought about duct taping them together to make one brake lever, but nah.

Attachments

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
personally I love my dual pull brake lever and wouldn't have it any other way
I LOVE MINE TO DEATH AND IT KINDA LOOKS LIKE THE CLUTCH LEVER THAT COMES WITH THE KIT SO ITS EVEN LOOKS LIKE IT SHOULD BE THERE.. AND COME TO THINK OF IT IVE NEVER HAD A BRAKE CABLE SNAP ON ME ***KNOCK ON WOOD*** IVE GOT 141 MILES ON MINE AND LOVED EVERY ONE OF THEM

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I just don't know if I trust one lever to stop me from crashing into something at 25mph.

What I do know though is riding with gloves on is more comfortable now (it's getting cold out in the mornings), it works well, and I didn't spend a dime :)

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Although I use a dual brake lever, I think that it comes down to personal preference. Everyone has their own style. I had a cable break for the rear caliper due to over tightening on a screw that holds the cable. Fortunately the front held up well. I upgraded to higher gage cable for dirt bikes and they have been working great. The clutch lever broke right before I was going on a ride. Fortunately I hadn't started the ride. I upgraded the lever to a Diamondback BMX brake lever with a locking mechanism. BMX parts are a little more durable and the lever was comfortable.

cachehiker

Jul 9, 2008
Hyde Park / Logan, UT
I keep hoping someone will post a good pick of a rotary clutch handle.

I spend 80 miles a week commuting by bicycle. Looking to build a quick, 30 mile round trip, grocery getter and beer runner that doesn't leave me sweaty by the time I get back to the party. So used to front brake left and rear brake right that I don't think it's wise to change it.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
rotary clutch handle, eh? Umm, get a 2nd throttle and use it on the left for your clutch? Not sure if it'd have enough pull or be strong enough though...

cachehiker

Jul 9, 2008
Hyde Park / Logan, UT
It's not than I'm afraid of a dual pull lever, it's that I put 5000 miles per year on a collection of five bicycles and I'd like whatever I put together to match. I'd hate to switch back and forth between the three road bikes or the two mountain bikes plus the motorized mountain bike if they each had different shifters. It's the same way with the brakes.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
It's not than I'm afraid of a dual pull lever, it's that I put 5000 miles per year on a collection of five bicycles and I'd like whatever I put together to match. I'd hate to switch back and forth between the three road bikes or the two mountain bikes plus the motorized mountain bike if they each had different shifters. It's the same way with the brakes.
I took my brother honda metropolatin up town yesterday . and after reaching top speed i instinctivly pulled the left brake all the way in like i do my clutch on my bike( to keep the noise down in fear of unwanted attention by cops) which in turn slammed on the brakes and almost got rearended by the car behind me . so i understand what you mean there. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Good point. I had a neigbor try my motorized bike after he was riding his and had to readjust himself. I guess we're all creatures of habit.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
and that is what I just don't get
whenever I ride a bike, mine or someone elses, I make sure that I know what the controls are, where they are located and how they work
I've got a road bike, mtn. bike and a motorized bike. they are all different in the way the controls work, yet I can ride any of them with no problems.

Last edited:

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
I would prefer to have a disc brake conversion over rubber lever stoppers.
The disc is a quick setup and worth the time and money when it involves the actual believing in your ride with a make shift braking system.

Maximo

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I guess maybe I should've changed the title of the thread to "too cheap for dual pull brake levers?" lol.

I will agree with Nunya though, it's always good to make sure you know the controls before you start riding something.

Anyway, this setup (and dual-pull levers) allows for much quicker reaction times and less confusion. I don't have to pull in the clutch and lock it before I hit the brakes anymore - I can do them both at the same time. Not to mention now that I have to ride with gloves in the morning, the added bulk made it difficult to use my old setup.

This is set up more like a motorcycle anyway.

cachehiker

Jul 9, 2008
Hyde Park / Logan, UT
I've got a road bike, mtn. bike and a motorized bike. they are all different in the way the controls work, yet I can ride any of them with no problems.
Three arrangements I can deal with but I'm already there. Shimano brifters on two road bikes. Shimano bar ends on a touring rig. Shimano rapid fires on two mountain bikes. I'd rather not try five. In fast pace lines and on technical mountain trails, braking has to be instinctual.

I like the idea of using an indexed twist shifter as a clutch handle. It wouldn't have a spring return, but I'll have to look into it. I've got a cheapie that I could take apart. Maybe it could be modified to work without a second gear.

Maybe the rear shifter could be similarly modified to work as a matching throttle too. Has anybody tried this?

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
it seems half of my customers that try the Dual pull brake levers ( limited kits) love them the other half likes to be more in control with the braking

Personally I love the dual brake lever It's just plain simpler to use.

cheers:)

Bob

BlueCollarBike