Quieter ride

GoldenMotor.com

lilhog

Dec 25, 2008
florida
I am looking to quiet my ride. Considering the sick bike parts tuned exhaust. I dont care about "more power" Although I dont want much less. Does anyone have any tips?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
My bike is quiet with just the stock black cat muffler and im using a homemade intake silencer. The intake silencer helps to cut down on noise too. Mine is a rubber hose clamped to the carb and clamped to a 6" pipe with filter on the end(its like a air box).

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Smoother tires are quieter.
A properly aligned and tensioned chain and sprocket especially with a soft(er) skate wheel can quiet the overall noise of the bike, as can dampening vibes in the fenders and chain guard with self adhesive weather strip lining the back side.
A mouse pad or similar glued to the right side gear cover quiets that area.
An intake dampener or air box of some sort will help considerably, make one with the most volume you can practically make.
After mufflers can be made to affix to the end of the pipe, but be careful not to over baffle.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Would a stock muffler off of some other lawn/garden engine work? Maybe the mounting will match right up they all look to be of similar size......maybe.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
An aluminum can extension on the muffler helps. The can will fit right on most of the newer pipes and hold it on with some radiator hose worm clamps. Holes on the end drill easily in the can- a 12 oz soda can or the longer 16 oz beer cans work well.

Some people have talked about putting rubber between the cooling fins- haven't tried that yet.

Met a guy yesterday with a 48 cc and old style muffler with a little longer pipe into a smaller resonator- it seemed quieter than my 66. I think longer pipes off the engine might help. I've got an extension muffler from boygofast on ebay that I havent yet fitted- I'd have to lose my regular kickstand when I do.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A longer exhaust system helps with quieting the noise, as does simply having the system end behind you;

The final extension on my SBP expansion chamber exhaust is just a length of heater hose, takes a lil bit of the "bang" out of the sound - but I put it there so it wouldn't spew on my packs/kickstand lol

A bit more work, but this helps quite a bit;
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=10967

Also - the gear howl is quite loud on these things, Joe mentioned gluing a mouse pad to the cover - that is prolly the most effective, but I just took the cover off and sprayed the inside of the cover with "rubberized undercoating" (after cleaning it ofc). While that does help - keeping those gears lightly greased quiets them the most lol

But as Joe said - the tensioner is responsible for a surprising amount of noise vibration - aligning it to the chain is critical for many reasons but noise is a biggie ;)
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=11815

Last edited:

reclaimer

Oct 8, 2009
pa
I never had the stock muffler on it, so I cant compare. I had the pipe going back to a muffler I got at tsc. Not very quiet like that. this new one is much quieter, I hear the motor noise very plainly now. at wot it still has some bite but cruising and idle it's great.

I didnt do any math or anything. It did lose 2 mph off the top end. but has since made that back up as its breaking in. so im thinking its got enough back pressure. guess i wont know till i cut back on the oil mix.

Attachments

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I did this to dampen the gear noise. I think it mostly stops the thin cover from viberating. It's a tank badge off my old motorcycle. I pounded it out flat with a rubber hammer and mounted it with dbl stick foam tape. If you fab up a long header pipe for the stock exhaust and mount the muffler on the rear stay it will be very quiet. The pic is old from my original build.

P1010115.JPG