Need Help

GoldenMotor.com

Prettyboy

Aug 31, 2009
New Jersey
Hi I am new to this forum and motorized bikes in general and I need help picking a motor that's right for my bike and needs.

I need a motor that is in the $100-$150 price range.
It also needs to be able to comply with New Jersey state laws which I believe the CC has to be under 50.
I also want the quietest motor possible and I will be able to ride my bike with it's normal gears when the engine isn't in use.
I know that a 4 stroke engine will probably be quieter but those are up in the at least $300 range which I don't want to spend.

If anyone could help me that would be great because I'm really interested in making my bike motorized, quiet and to it's full potential. Thanks

Haha this website has some sweet smilies .wee.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Can't vouch for any of the sellers there but with your budget you can always check ebay for the 49cc kits.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
All the mufflers in the kits are the same so it's gonna sound pretty much like a weed wacker.

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
mmm... I think you'll find the std muffler pretty quiet in the scheme of things ... i reckon the best way to start the job of quieting the engine down further would be to add some kind of damping to the case covers each side ... but particularly the gearbox cover

also damp down head & barrel fin resonance with some old fanbelt rubber or somesuch...

then you could work out a way to tackle intake noise

the exhaust silencing ain't bad right out of the box, in my view; ...

Prettyboy

Aug 31, 2009
New Jersey
mmm... I think you'll find the std muffler pretty quiet in the scheme of things ... i reckon the best way to start the job of quieting the engine down further would be to add some kind of damping to the case covers each side ... but particularly the gearbox cover

also damp down head & barrel fin resonance with some old fanbelt rubber or somesuch...

then you could work out a way to tackle intake noise

the exhaust silencing ain't bad right out of the box, in my view; ...

Are you saying that kit from Ebay is pretty silent? And how would get go about damping all this stuff i dont know what that is or where any of those parts cause I'm a noob at motorized bikes.

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
no, i'm speaking only from my own experience with a stock (non-catalytic) (rounded both ends) muffler - I'm saying that exhaust noise is not an overwhelming factor in the overall noise of the engine as a whole.

Damping as in damping the gearbox cover, is a glue and rubber and leather and cork kind of affair, to stop sympathetic vibration of the cover

to stop the cover from acting like a guitar soundboard - the gears inside the gearcase make a devil of a racket.

If you loved exhaust noise you might be disappointed with these motors - it's pretty well drowned out by other motor noise in practice...

if any other guys disagree I'd be glad for them to jump in to correct my view in line with their experience.

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
i say exhaust noise is drowned out by other noise - well - perhaps not drowned out exactly...

don't get me wrong, these engines are pretty quiet, i'm satisfied that i'm not kicking up an unreasonable racket round the recreational bikepaths.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Honestly I think you're kind of putting the cart before the horse here. Get an engine kit and if you think it's too loud after you get it up and running then deal with trying to quiet it down.

Check out the numerous videos on youtube and you'll get an idea of how loud/quiet the 2 cycle engine kits are.

Prettyboy

Aug 31, 2009
New Jersey
Yeah that's true but I'll probably be riding this on the sidewalk and in neighborhoods thats just why I don't want it to be too loud.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The MTB in the pic looks like a perfect steed for a first build. (Straight forward installation and good vibration absorption).You can get a springer fork or suspension fork for that 1" threaded steering tube.
In stock form, these 2 stroke motors are quieter than a chain saw or leaf blower. The pitch of the exhaust is lower
You can afford a 48cc 2 stroke.
You can add fiberglass (or other) packing to your muffler to reduce high pitched noise
There are posts on this site where members packed rubber between the cooling fins on the cylinder to reduce noise. This actually reduces noise at all rpms.
If all else fails, use less throttle. The China motor purrs nicely a mid-range rpms.