Bike engines legal in Australia

GoldenMotor.com

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Hi oylavabeer, Wow that really sounds restrictive, I know there are quite a few guys on this site from Aust, I never read anything like that about the requirements being so conservative, 200 watts is pretty weak. Here they sell electric bikes that have 700 watts, in new york city where traffic is incredible and dangerous they have a electric bike shop in a very good area of Manhattan and I've read the dealer is not so nice and his service the same. But they do use them on the crowded streets of the city and this shop is doing well, because their is no registration required or insurance you don't even have to have a drivers license.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
200 watts is just under 1/3HP...restrictive to say the least!!!

Here in Florida engine powered bikes can be registered as mopeds.

I intend on registering my Spoilers just to eliminate any hassles from the cops on Clearwater Beach.

Have you checked to see if there is a legal way to register a bike with more power? It may only cost a few bucks and then you're done with the problem.

Jim

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
olyiver where abouts are u?
Yer its technicaly illigal to ride 1 up here in QLD but ey.
bugger it. as long as ur sensable and not stuped.
be a wanka of a cop to hassel u!

googs

Jan 10, 2010
Cardross
Yep, down here in victoria the 200 watt limit applies, but agree would have to be doing something stupid for the police to act.

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
not for me i did something a little on the wrong side f the law as a youh and there is a cop that is after me i swear that he has a pic of my face taped to his dartboard

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Thats a bit like how they can sell cars that do 300kph yet legally you can only do 110

what Brisbane_boy says is correct, although the law is Australia wide, 200watt limit.
If you ride like a you will get treated like 1. i have been riding since febuary last year and have never been in trouble with the boys in blue, i have been questioned about its size "um 31cc sir"

i can think of hundreds of things that you can buy in aus that are illegal.

Still waiting to see 1 of these kits modified down from 3000watts to 200 mmm yeh ok

What i find hilarious is that no 1 in china can ride 1 of these things not even to test em.

Last edited by a moderator: