Genesis Astra 2 Stroke Build

GoldenMotor.com

ELRider

Mar 8, 2013
Boston
Hello all I have been in search of a hobby for a while now..I love tinkering with cars and motorcycles. But i'm getting married soon and I told the misses I would put those things on the back burner. But I couldnt resist getting into something new, so I got the ok from my better half and decided to build a motorized bike.

I have spent countless nights up searching and researching to get a better understanding and idea on what it is I want to do. I have seen some wonderful builds. and have been inspired. I do have experience working and riding motorcycles and since I no longer have one I figured this would be a nice option.

My first dilemma was what type of bike..I have read countless post where people frown upon using wal-mart bikes..but I have also read where folks have used these bikes with some success. So I decided to get a wal-mart bike. The bike I chose was the Genesis Astra. The reason I chose this bike was because firstly I think it is an excellent looking bike, it is a 7 speed and it has hand brakes for the front and back. Not to mention the price was right.

When I finally got the bike I assembled it, as with anything you assemble, a few adjustments had to be made. The wheels were far from being true so I took care of that and adjusted the brakes. I have been itching to take the bike out for a ride so I coud get a feel for it before I slap a motor on it but the weather has not been cooperating. I was also considering regreasing the rear bearings with automotive grade grease so it can better cope with the increased speeds.

I did change a few things on the bike so far. First I got rid of the factory handlebars and used a set I had lying around from one of my old motorcycles. Then I replaced the the seatpost with a layback seat post that allowed me to use the factory seat. I believe these two things greatly improve the aesthetics of the bike (to my liking anyway).

So here are my plans for this bike:
I got a 80cc bike kit from bgf..regretting that a bit now should have just went and got it locally from pirate cycles. I purchased a kit with a black motor, I got it with paint chipped and one bent fin on the corner. The engine was simply placed in a bag, nothing in the box to protect it from being jostled about..but you live and learn.

I will be mounting a Garelli moped tank..I dont like the look of the tanks that come with the kit at all. I got the tank for $35 shipped off a moped forum. I'm in the process of stripping it and will paint it black.

I already purchased a few parts from sick bike parts such as the hardware kit..I dont trust these studs on the kit currently even though I'm sure many people have not had any issues with them. I will also be installing a dual brake lever, and using there front engine mount do to the size of my down tube.

I also will be installing the sprocket adapter from pirate cycles with the 44t sprocket. I have read that people have had success mounting the rag joint to the spokes using 6 bolts as opposed to 9. But in the long run I believe that this will be a better set up, and give me peace of mind.

I also purchased a voodoo muffler from ebay, for performances sake and looks. I will be installing a LED bullet style head light and some ebay turn signals to mount underneath the seat for safety sake.

I like the vinatge speedos I have seen on ebay, but not sure if I just want to go with a digital one. Anyone have experience with this vintage looking one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Bike-Bi...671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec5f2f15f

here are pics of teh bike with the tank and engine. If anyone has any suggestions on how to mount the Garelli tank please share.

Here are pics of the tank and engine on the bike..I just had to see how it would look.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Welcome to the forum from Dallas. That bike is going to look good motorized. I like your fuel tank.

I don't think that speedo will be accurate for your bike since you have 29" wheels. It's for 26-27

ELRider

Mar 8, 2013
Boston
So I finally have some updates for my build. I have been taking my time with this thing, I'm glad I started when it was cold out since I had so many little things I had to fix.
First off it was a pretty lengthy wait for my pirate cycles hub adapter. I changed the studs and hardware on the bike only to have a head stud strip out on me. I corrected that with a helicoil, installed a pulley for my clutch cable that I purchased. I had some issues with the bike initially it was not idling at all now it does idle and get up to speed pretty well. I installed a speedo from target and a side mirror. I am pretty pleased with the bike and its gotten alot of attention on the short trips around the block so far.

Here is a pic, tell me what you think

CTR man

Jun 13, 2012
Ceres, California
Thank You much for posting pics of your build. I have recently purchased this bike from my local Wal-mart and it was nice to see that the motor does actually fit the frame. My bike was already pre-assembled and the only issue I have is they forgot to secure the rear fender upper mount to the frame. Hopefully a trip back will net me a proper bolt.

I'm curious as to why you chose to go with the leaned back seat post as opposed to original stock. Is it more of a comfort issue or looks. It certainly looks nice. I have found that I sit rather tall on the bike (not necessarily a bad thing) so this may be a modification I might look into at a later date.

I also like the look of the tank you chose to mount. It looks more streamlined. The tank that they offer with the kits looks like a cherry bomb afterthought.

Keep posting pics of your build, it might give me some ideas on where I want to go with mine.

ELRider

Mar 8, 2013
Boston
I went with the lay back simply because of looks. I had some difficulty mounting it to the frame, i bought the larger adapter from sick bike parts. I think my next step after the break in phase is a different sparp plug and an expansion muffler from sbp, im also real interested in the jaguar cdi.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I see you removed the rear fender. Since you still have the front one please read up on how to reinforce them. We like keeping our fellow riders safe. Great job.