gas/oil

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

weediez

Apr 13, 2012
A\N
ok got my bike runnnnin sofar but i have a slight problem im not gettin the same power than i was before. befor i was using a 16/1 on breakin then a 20/1 then piston had got gashes in it got a new one the looked up on here and found to use 20/1 to break in so i am now two tanks now ready to use ??/1 so if u could tell whats the deal that im not gettin as much as i was before. see im doing like 22 mayb if that on level road and b4 was 35 on level. and one more thing is i have a small leak coming from my motor right near that very bottom screaw i was thinking about puttin some jb weld on it just alittle bit?..and is that a good source on y im not gettin up to par'''as b4 or is it both{nedd other mixture and leak} or just mixture or leak i fu could let me know please and remember be sure to get cha a good {bowl} of weediez

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh pics would help!

any leak in the motor is a bad sign.

go ahead and try a dab of jb weld an see if it brings you an improvement.
it probably won't hurt!

run a mix of thirty two:oops:ne with quality oil and operate it ez 'til it frees up and is broken in.

Good luck
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It is my opinion a small two stroke engine should be broken in easily.
Roll the throttle on, ease it off. Always vary the rpm. Never go WOT.
Avoid a heavy load, back off and allow it to cool from time to time.
Let it warm up, shut it off and allow to cool down.
Re-torque head bolts and such.

Increase your loading and speed over a period of time.

These are very small engines, and we expect a lot from them.
You should be able to tell when it is running well/ running free.
Or, you shall learn!

Listen to the engine.
There's noise, and then there's NOISE!
It's important to learn the difference and not hammer the engine when it's making a lot of noise from breaking in. They will settle in and quiet down a tad once they get broken in.

Pay attention for excess heat being generated.
If it seems too hot slow down, and maybe even shut it off after a low power cooling run.

Don't sit at idle with a new engine.
They need cooling air flowing by the head and cylinder.

All this is MY opinion.

There are others who feel they can/should be broken in hard and fast.

Good luck
rc

Bryson England

Apr 25, 2012
Mineralwells, WV
My last Gruber ran alright until it was broken in, then it ran great . When you are breaking them in, you have to keep alternating the plugs, since they foul with the heavy mix of oil. At least that is my experience

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Did you replace the jug too, or just the piston? If you had "gashes" in the piston, I'm guessing there was some damage to the cylinder wall as well.

Are you saying your base (cylinder) gasket is leaking? JB Weld wont do it, replace the gasket.

weediez

Apr 13, 2012
A\N
ye i replaced the hole top but the leak is down under the crank case leaking fuel mix will yhat cause something bad to happen thw leak is comin from wer the motor was took apart but then i put some gor tex in between wer the gasket should go and it fixed the mojority of the leak but at that one little place wer that lil bolt on bottom of motor

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
weediez

Order new gasket, tare engine down to that point where it can be replaced and replace it, coat gasket with Permatex High Tack Sealant, alternate between screws until each is tightened down well ( never tighten any one screw all the way down when there are multiple screws for hold two parts together with a gasket seal between them.

On a 2 smoker ANY leak in the case or anything else for that matter that allows fuel mix to exit engine is BAD BAD BAD......!

Best wishes and again, stop running engine and replace gasket or you will be needing another engine soon......:-||

Peace, Map

ye i replaced the hole top but the leak is down under the crank case leaking fuel mix will yhat cause something bad to happen thw leak is comin from wer the motor was took apart but then i put some gor tex in between wer the gasket should go and it fixed the mojority of the leak but at that one little place wer that lil bolt on bottom of motor

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just for reference for everyone...

Looking for help on a problem on a given motor and defining it as just 'My Motor' just isn't enough information.
Motors differ. Be specific please because some are just crap to start with.

The only purpose of oil in your gas is to lube the crankcase as it has no crankcase oil, ther crankcase acts as 'ready mix' chamber the motor crank pushes up into cylinder from the intake from your carb.

ONE COMMON MISCONCEPTION OF 2-STROKE MOTORS:
The Intake manifold does not go directly to the cylinder like the exhaust goes out, it goes into the crankcase and that forces the gas mix up into the cylinder while it is trying to expel the exhaust on the up-stroke.

Too much oil and there is not enough gas to give a real 'boom' of power.
Too little and your lower end wear out from friction.
Have a leak in the lower end and you'll screw up the mix with too much air to cylinder and toast the top end with heat.

This .gif was for explaing how an Expansion chambered works but a pretty good example of how fuel moves from the carb to the exhaust.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
OK OK!

lol

a crankcase leak is a major biggie. It can make your motor nearly impossible to start and cause it to burn up from too lean, when you do get it running.

Pics would really help!

I suggested a dab of JBWeld as a temp fix to see if everything else is ok and it's gonna run. a smear of JBWeld ain't gonna hurt nothing! and it may plug the hole for a bit.

If there is a case mismatch, or defunct gasket problem, the only permanent fix will be a complete teardown. Is W prepared for such a task?

I'll admit again, I'm a real hack!
Smear a blob of JBWeld on it and see if you can get some miles out of it!
and I'd just as soon buy a complete lower end, or even another complete motor and go through the Alf proceedure for new chinagirl engines while riding around a bit on one that could very possibly expire. At the bottom of the barrel it is never a bad idea to have back-ups ! :)

Best
rc

weediez

Apr 13, 2012
A\N
ummmmmmmmmmmm ive done that task i put goretext in between it is stopped the mojorti of it its down to like a small drip over night so whats up

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Goretex is permeable and a terrible gasket substitue.

Take the engine apart, and use some gasket sealer, or better yet, make/buy a new gasket.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Re: its me agein

hey that very bottom bolt thats where is leaking from a small leak so i put some purmatex on it with a small thin strip of goretex so will that help or what
I doubt Permatex will do the job, they make so many product applications, some can hold up to fuel, and some that don't, just might. Wait and see.

Which bottom bolt, the right or left?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.