schwinn link

GoldenMotor.com

j3s

Feb 2, 2012
Helena montana
I purchased a new bike, schwinn link and have installed the grubee skyhawk 66 on it. after reading countless threads here can't exactly find answers to the problems i am having.

first i tried dumping that garbage the chinese calls a chain and went and purchased a #41 chain from murddocks. Much more robust but had problems with it hitting the case of the engine, when i reinstalled the clutch lever/cover back on it. Then i also noticed the chain was too big for the idler pulley . any suggestion are appreciated.

Also the carburetor is a tight squeeze, mounting the air filter rests against the seat post so i am wondering if shortening the intake if it would be an option.

thanks, waiting to take my first ride.

JACK:-||

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Beleive it or not you can get thousands of miles from the stock chain, in fact I have never used anything else.

Yes, you can shorten the intake a bit, no penalty.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Sounds to me that it is possible that you may be running a bit rich, if it smooths out when you are going up a slight hill then most likely thats whats causing it to be rougher running on the flats.

I agree with BJ, I have had good use with the stock chains also, I have noticed that some are better quality than others, some have rollers that are way to narrow and those have not done well for me but the chains that have come with the BGF kits I have are good chains, been running one of them for the past 2 years with no issues.

Peace, Map

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I have created a clearance problem for my cns air filter in my Schwinn...

I'm thinking of heating up a piece of steel pipe and setting it against the filter housing to re-form it. No great loss if it does not work. If I ruin it beyond use I'll just need to do it the right way. Major bonus that these chinagirls are cheep to Xperiment with !

Best
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
BC, I did not need to do that.
so I don't know.
lol that's a hard one for me to admit! :)

On the starter cover... you got turny things in there... I'd be cautious before trying to melt that in for clearance.

...since we're going motorized, and will rarely pedal, the usual fix is to bend the pedal crank. WayneZ even put up a thread on cold bending!

IMO best to do it that way, unless you really do have plans to pedal a lot.

Good luck
rc