Noob questions

GoldenMotor.com

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
Hello I am very new to the forums. I have little experience with working on bikes or small engines. I would like to build a bike with one of the HF engines a 99cc or 212cc and have done some research. I found this build, http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=36131 but I don't understand why so much is required please explain why a things like a clutch and jackshaft are needed and why I couldn't just run the motor to a front freewheel. I apologize for my lack of knowledge like they say someone who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes but some one who doesn't is a fool forever.
Thank you
The HillbillyScientist

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
your 14 and you want to build a motorized bicycle that has a big sign on it that says ...PULL ME OVER
a 99 and 212 are not builds for noobs that have little or no know how as it takes making custom parts and at times welding

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
all you want is to go FAST
you think your 10 foot tall and bullet proof and you know it all. Let me guess you don't want to have to pedal? You have no DL so if you get caught they CAN take your bike and not give it back. The last things you want to do is give the cops ANY reason to pull you over.
State law is under 50cc and you should be pedaling even if not pedaling hard enough to move the bike it keeps it looking like a bicycle so they don't look twice at you. Therefore have no reason to pull you over.
The fact you have no DL can be beat in court if you give them NO legal reason to pull you over in the first place. IE legally built bike according to state law and obey ALL traffic laws and wear a DOT motorcycle helmet. Your are under 16 state law is you wear a helmet

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
Hey I wasn't even planning ride on roads till I was legal. I'm not stupid I respect my elders where respect is due. I try to be as independent as possible. I am simply trying to plan ahead until I have other forms of transportation. I ask that you not go against me because of my age because that will only further motivate me. All of your information has been very helpful. In my opinion I am not typical nor am I a punk. I will continue to research and attempt my build. Again thanks for the help.
Sincerly,
Cory

recon chris

Apr 28, 2011
pacific grove
WAOH WAOH IBEDAYANK, relax dude. When the kid has very little knolege on this subject and wants to educate himself, by himself why are you so harsh to him. And with an opening answer to his qestion like

" your 14 and you want to build a motorized bicycle that has a big sign on it that says ...PULL ME OVER"

and

"a 99 and 212 are not builds for noobs that have little or no know how as it takes making custom parts and at times welding"

Way to inspire a kid......right.

And then when he tells you that he is going to do it anyway you say that he is just a kid that just wants to go fast. And then rant about bits and pices of laws that noone ever asked you for. WTF MATE!

I don't care how long you have been a member or how many posts you have noone deserves to be talked down to for asking a simple question, and then further insulted by your asumptions.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
facts are facts dude...
I do live in the same state as him so yes I do know the laws here.
As far as insulting him or putting him down if he is close enough to me i will most likely be one of the first to help him. The fact that he is underage will have the cops looking at him MORE than somebody in their 30s or older. That is just the way it is. there are kits out there that need no custom parts that are much better suited for a first time builder with little or no knowlage of motors or bicycles. A more simple build that is completed and done right will empower somebody more then a incomplete/failed complex build.

recon chris

Apr 28, 2011
pacific grove
Hillbilly if your still using this forum (and i can totaly understand if your not anymore), pm me for in depth questions about this subject. However for the more general questions like how to install a HT engine. Do some web searching and forum surching (on this forum). there is a nice video on u-tube that goes step by step on how to install a HT engine.

BUT TO ACTUALY ANSWER YOUR QUESTION

I would stick to a 2 stroke HT engine 66cc. I go 35mph. If you need to go any faster than that i sugest you buy a scooter, they have more safty features and are desinged to handle road conditions at speed better.

And YES
there is a kit that bolts on directly to your frount wheel. Its out of china but a little searching on the web will give you the details. There friction drive sytems insted of chain drive makeing instalation much easier then a HT engine

Last edited:

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
Thank you chris for the information I appreciate it a lot. The only reason I want a 4-stroke is so I won't have to mix gas. And the HF predator engines are more acailable to me thats why I was wanting to use them for a build. As far as someone nearby to help me my brothers a pro welder my uncles a pro mechanic and I have other family members who are have engineering knowledge. I just don't ask them for help until its my last resort.

recon chris

Apr 28, 2011
pacific grove
That's cool the 4 strokes will be graver and will require fabrication to properly be installed on a bike. 99cc is plenty of power I wouldn't go much higher than that. If you have any other questions feel free to ask there are plenty of people on this forum that would love to help you.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Hey Hillbilly, I'm with you. I was trying to make a Whizzer run when I was 12 years old. I think it actually fired four or five times before it quit for good. I didn't have the resources you do.

You want to build a fast MB, I completely understand. Being a kid on an MB that's going 40mph is going to attract some attention, but I'm sure you'll figure a way around that.

I wish you all the luck in the world, just please be careful with the beastie.