New Needle Bearing Engine?

GoldenMotor.com

TyDow

Sep 10, 2008
Wisconsin
Hello Everyone,

This is only my second post but I have been reading a lot over the last few weeks and I love this forum. I am a newbie, so please forgive me if this questions has been asked before.

I saw an ad on Ebay stating that a kit I have been considering ordering has been updated with a new Needle Bearing Engine. Exactly what does that mean. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Again forgive me if this question has been asked. I looked through the forum before asking and could not find any information.

Thanks in Advance!

TyDow

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
TyDow - They are referring the the bearing at the wrist pin, (small end of Rod) one is a bronze bearing and the better is the needle bearing, if it is a good one. Its that easy. Have fun, Dave

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Before I go into that Welcome to the forum! There are basically three types of engine bearings. Solid, roller (or) needle & ball bearings. It depends on a tollerance. Cars use for the most part solid bearings. The motors are so presise that they don't need anything else to hold the crankshaft. Most bike engines use ball bearings. to let the crank shaft spin. Needle bearings are long flat bearings like a rolling pin my first wife used to hit me with. They are held together in what is called a race. Needle bearings are great. Wrist pin and crankshaft. Remember we are talking about a 200.00 motor. Thatsdax makes a very good one. I use them for my bikes.

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Welcome to the forum, TyDow, Tramp; isin't the thing that holds the needles together called a "cage" and the surface they "ride" on called a "race"?.... maybe I got my wires crossed....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Nomad, you are correct.

Also, the needle bearing engines seemed to come and go and I have heard of some problems with them letting go and scattering bearing inside the engines.

The bushed engines just make some extra noise, but give you a loooong warning before the final curtain.

MachoMouse

Aug 31, 2008
I recently had a needle bearing issue...there was no warning, and the little pins ended up all about the inside of the engine...luckily replacement heads are $80-ish...I'm new to this site too...anyone know of a comparison thread of bushings vs. bearings?