Ask a specific question

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Deacon- Their are levers available that operate BOTH brakes (with a single handle).

Personally, I would rather have a front brake as the first option, rear brake to "augument" the front.

Over 70% of availble stopping force is on the front wheel.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I prefer the back brake for my default braking. The front brake will stop you faster because as you decelerate you get more downward force on the front wheel and less on the back. My problem is we have lots of gravel that gets around the edges of the roads, where I ride most of the time. Front brake, gravel. Not good..............................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well i have the wide 26" inch wheel on the front and the little bitty rear wheel. Even with the coaster brake the front hand brake works at least as well. I have it on the right hand lever and the clutch on the left. I really do prefer the coaster rear since it doesn't require a handle.

Joe those double pull brake handles are way way too expensive the way I break them up. I have broken three already. I know there is no reason to have done that but I managed.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
YET ANOTHER SILLY QUESTION

As usual I have a prefix because no one would ever guess where this comes from otherwise and the little men in white might just be dispatched to my house. They know the address already.

Anyway, I have a basket on the front of my bike. I need gas at the moment. No not in the bike in my gas can. My gas can is too big so I'm looking around for something that will hold about a gallon. Oh course i have empty antifreeze bottles in my shop. I know everyone else throws theirs out but I carry water in mine now and then.

Anyway, I decided to clean one out and use it to ride the bike to a gas station and fill it up. But then I got to wondering. What would happen if a couple of oz of antifreeze got mixed with the gas. Since it is kind of an alcohol would it burn or contaminate the gas so much that it would never burn again.

Come on somebody has to know from experience.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
If it was me, I would put little bit of gas in the antifreeze jug. Slosh it around a little and pour it out. Then fill it up with gas. That may not be the politically or environmentally correct thing to do, but I'd do it anyway. You know how us rednecks are..............................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Oh im gonna clean it real well, I was just wondering what would happen.. call it intellectual curiosity. I might use it in a story some day.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
You really don't know how nasty antifreeze will screw up an engine. I've seen a 1100 hp white superior go from wide open to an instant stop and damn near rip its self off the mounts. I'm talking 14" bore big pistons and a big turbo charger this thing only truns 900 rpms and its putting out 1100 hp. When antifreeze gets into the combustion chamber it will get hot enough to form a sort of green glass. Now this may not happen on one of these samll engines but the stuff is not good to get in it if you get my drift. Flush out the antifeee jug very well water will work then a small amount of alcohol or gas will take care of the rest. This is war time conditions for a gas jug but its cheap. A small bottle of Heat will take care of the water in the jug. After pouring the heat out you can use it for a gas jug if the laws allow it there other wise you could get into deep dodo for caring gas in a non approved container. Wally world sells little 1 gal. jugs in a nice red color and they are approved for fuel and don't cost an arm or a leg. Be careful and play it safe my friend.
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now see Norman not only did you convince me to NOT use the antifreeze carton but you also gave me information for a bit of my story. That's why IIII like this forum. It isn't ALL about the engine and the bike, it's about lots of things.

Thanks my friend.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ALERT NEW QUESTION

I have been thinking about this new bike building contest. I think I might do a mountain bike after all. If I do I could care less about the gears and stuff. So I'm thinking I'll toss the derailer or whatever its called. and go one speed. Just cut the chain down to length but, which of the rear gears will be the one inline with the crank best. Surely one of you geniuses has done this successfully. My try with the Huge Mountain Bike showed me it would work but I never did get the gears lined up right. At least I don't think i did.

So help a po boy out, if you can.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
ALERT NEW QUESTION

I have been thinking about this new bike building contest. I think I might do a mountain bike after all. If I do I could care less about the gears and stuff. So I'm thinking I'll toss the derailer or whatever its called. and go one speed. Just cut the chain down to length but, which of the rear gears will be the one inline with the crank best.
DON'T DO IT!!! Well at least don't lose the gearing!! A budy and I are soon to release a jack shaft setup with freewheel crank. So you will have full gear ranges. Imagine, starting off with just the clutch, going up big hills, dirt biking. Get rid of the spoke driving sprocket.

I will post images, and info soon. We will be selling the set up as a kit. Of course the most expensive part is the freewheel crank.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
sounds great but here you have to have pedals to avoid the motorcycle laws. Those are quite stringent for inspections and licensing and insurance. Maybe keep the pedals on the crank. Actually i think there is a prohibition against gears. If it has gears it is a motorcycle I think. Heck i don't know for sure.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
DON'T DO IT!!! Well at least don't lose the gearing!! A budy and I are soon to release a jack shaft setup with freewheel crank. So you will have full gear ranges. Imagine, starting off with just the clutch, going up big hills, dirt biking. Get rid of the spoke driving sprocket.

I will post images, and info soon. We will be selling the set up as a kit. Of course the most expensive part is the freewheel crank.
pablo i am very excited about what you just said. i cannot wait to here more(^)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Deacon-

If you do like I did (non-motorized bike) the gears line up in one gear, dependent on the bike....I think it ended up pretty close to what a one speed bike would be.

I was trying to help out a local low income kid, so I took one from the junk heap and the derailuer was rusted, so I removed it and cut the chain down. He was happy to have a one speed, and it only cost me a couple of tubes, a seat and some time.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When I did do that with the giant mountain bike, the darn thing kept jumping the sprocket. I think i really had it on the wrong sprocket. If I go with a mtb for the build I'm for sure going to go at least one speed, if not put a cruiser wheel on the back.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I think you can adjust the back derailleur for about any gear you want on the back there is 2 screws to play with but I'm not the rocket scientist on this. You got time so you can play with it looks like you got another project in the makings.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yes im already thinking about the bike building contest. It all depends on whats available at the time I decide to start on it. But it's always nice to have some idea in advance the easy way. Of course I will figure it out. Hows the job going?