Costa Mesa Motorized Bicycle NU-B

GoldenMotor.com

Ebopp

May 4, 2011
Costa Mesa, ca
Hey all,

I'm new to the MB community. Just bought a beach cruiser with a 49cc 2 stroke built on. Looking for some good stories and general advice on gettin her road ready.

Ed

Ebopp

May 4, 2011
Costa Mesa, ca
Re: Costa Mesa MB NU-B

Sweet. Thad be awesome. I'm still trying to work out all the details as far as getting it road ready. I bought it last week and I rode it to work on monday, (orange ave to fashion island) under the assumption (as told by the seller and several freinds) that all I needed was a bike helmet and got popped by officer "darling" for a non dot helmet and he gave me the infamous "cheat sheet" and now I'm working towards legality. I've been getting all sorts of stories since. CMPD dispatcher said, under 50cc and 2 Hp engine, all I need is bike helmet and ride daytime only. NBPD said same thing but I have to stay on roads under 30 mph. Anyway, any tips are welcome, I just wanna ride this thing. Thanks for getting in touch man! Talk soon!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

Sweet. Thad be awesome. I'm still trying to work out all the details as far as getting it road ready. I bought it last week and I rode it to work on monday, (orange ave to fashion island) under the assumption (as told by the seller and several freinds) that all I needed was a bike helmet and got popped by officer "darling" for a non dot helmet and he gave me the infamous "cheat sheet" and now I'm working towards legality. I've been getting all sorts of stories since. CMPD dispatcher said, under 50cc and 2 Hp engine, all I need is bike helmet and ride daytime only. NBPD said same thing but I have to stay on roads under 30 mph. Anyway, any tips are welcome, I just wanna ride this thing. Thanks for getting in touch man! Talk soon!
Nah, there is no mention of 50cc in CVC.
the big ones are:

DOT helmet
License plate
M2 or M1 on your C class
Under 2 hp and 30 mph
Huntington Beach wants a red rear reflector.
Left side mirror is a life saver.
You can ride at night with lights unless you have a temp licence

LOTS of bad info out there from "sellers" DMV, and cops too.

Last edited:

Ebopp

May 4, 2011
Costa Mesa, ca

Gotta love it. Why do they bust the nuts of the guys trying to have a good time and save some gas and not the guys with Ferraris (pictured top right) and Bentleys with nothing but blank or car dealership plates. Ugh.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

good ol' officer Darling. me and him go way back. way back to two years ago when he pulled me over and gave me a ticket for no plate, no license, and no dot helmet.

now he pulls me over just to chat. i'm mostly legal now, so he just stops me for something to do.

costa mesa i've never had a problem. got caught drafting a truck over 50mph and let go, but other than that, none of the cops seem to care. but cross into newport and it's a whole 'nother story.

Ebopp

May 4, 2011
Costa Mesa, ca

hahaha. hopefully i'll reach that point with him one day since my commute cuts right through his turf. i'm actually trying to develop a good Mon-Fri route to and from work that will keep me as far away from pch and jamboree as possible. ever ride the back bay loop? any problems? i know on the weekends it's plugged up with every frickin spandex-wearing road cyclist in so cal, but it seems like a nice ride.

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA

Hey welcome! I just got my bike up and running! It's not done yet but its rideable! I've seen a couple of mb's riding on Edinger a couple months back.. I'm in Santa Ana and I wanna go for a ride some time soon! I haven't rode much yet.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA

hahaha. hopefully i'll reach that point with him one day since my commute cuts right through his turf. i'm actually trying to develop a good Mon-Fri route to and from work that will keep me as far away from pch and jamboree as possible. ever ride the back bay loop? any problems? i know on the weekends it's plugged up with every frickin spandex-wearing road cyclist in so cal, but it seems like a nice ride.
Back Bay Loop is off limits for motorized bicycles. You can ride in the Bike Lanes but not the Bike Paths. I've wondered about the section of the loop along the southeast side since cars are allowed to drive this section (One Way), and the bike lane allows for travel in both directions, is this section a Bike Lane or a Bike Path? The Sections from Santiago to University that parallel Irvine Blvd and the section across the top of the bay between Irvine and Jamboree are diffinetly off Limits.

ocscully

Bmonette8385

Mar 11, 2011
Orange County, CA

ever ride the back bay loop? any problems? i know on the weekends it's plugged up with every frickin spandex-wearing road cyclist in so cal, but it seems like a nice ride.
HAHA So true. Im in HB. Grew up in Costa mesa though. Anyways, Im always down for a ride if anyone is down. Im still learning the ins and outs of the bike, so maybe a learning experience for both of us. Anyways, good luck and have fun.

-Brian

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca

Welcome to the forum. Im not to far fron Costa Mesa, Lake Forest to be exact. Join us for some racing in Willow Springs next month!