Thought I'd share my new project

GoldenMotor.com

quantogs

Dec 28, 2009
SoCal
I finished it a few months ago, it has only 1 mile on it!!! Waiting for the weather to warm up and then I can take it somewhere and see how far it goes til she breaks! Like anything there will be some R&D. It was an old ladies tandem I bought on Craigslist. Now it's a single seater with a 5.0 flathead Briggs, powdercoated red with black wheels, jackshaft to keep it balanced and added some tubing to stiffen up the frame.

P1280040 by quantogs, on Flickr

P1280016 by quantogs, on Flickr

P1280021 by quantogs, on Flickr

P1280022 by quantogs, on Flickr
Homemade sprocket adapter

P1280045 by quantogs, on Flickr
Jackshaft, it allowed me to keep the engine balanced in the center of the frame.

The ol' flathead Briggs seems to be down on power but I'm sure it has something to do with the exhaust being too long. I have a newer Intek 5.5hp that was used on a pusher project which topped out at 52mph bone stock and with modest gearing. Might just stick that one in.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Very nice and creative! Bet it is stable too.
Exhaust legnth will not effect your power level.
I would look at the gearing, maybe too tall, so the engine can't rev enough to get into it's power range. I suggest adding a muffler, a cigar shaped muff w/ 3/4 npt size would work well and may increase the power a bit.

Last edited:

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Cool build!! waiting for the weather to warm up(SoCal)?? That one i don't get.LOL I bet with that gearing, if you could get it into the torque threshold, you may set the speed record for a motorized tandem!! Really nice job!!

Mac