Anyone interested in a cyndrical behind the seat gas tank?

GoldenMotor.com

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I built a tank that mounts behind my seat. I built it out of 4" PVC. I had to buy a long piece of PVC so I am thinking about building some to sell on here. Before I start I wanted to see if there would be any interest. I can custom make it any length for you. I can also customize just about any aspect of it: length, fuel outlet type, fuel inlet type, vent type and locations of all these as well as painted or unpainted. If there is interest I will post pics. I have figured that I would have close to 30 dollars into each one including petcock. So I would probably sell them for around 50 plus shipping or 40 if you send me your petcock to use on the tank. I know that is a lot of money for a tank but I don't want to do it for free. I figure 20 profiet on each tank is reasonable. If any one is interested please let me know.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Are you sure? After doing a lot of research PVC should be ok. There are many members here using pvc. Maybe it takes a long time to melt? I have spent 3 months building my bike and planned on riding it for the first time this weekend. Now you have me scared to put the gas in my tank. Are you speculating or are you saying you have seen gas melt pvc with your own two eyes. I thought potato guns use starter fluid and not gasoline. Anyways, I value your knowledge and experience so please give me more info. Thanks.

jim_himself

May 5, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Gas does melt pvc......first hand experience..gas leak and exploding golf ball canon

Use your same plan but make it out of thin aluminum pipe and charge more for them

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
Gas does melt pvc......first hand experience..gas leak and exploding golf ball canon

Use your same plan but make it out of thin aluminum pipe and charge more for them
Aye aluminum will work better and safer. ive used pvc ONLY as a temporary tank before. also made temps out of fuel bottles used at shops too. wasnt pretty BUT was fuelsafe. can find fuelsafe plastics if you MUST use a plastic. dont want to shut your business down. BUT want to see you succeeed. and succeed in a BIG way

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If you don't believe us, conduct a test: before making a whole tank, saw off a thin sliver of the PVC you intend to use. THIN so you can get an accelerated process. Measure the precise size of the sample. Place the sample in a small pyrex or glass dish that comes with a tight fitting lid. They make 'em, you might have to look around if you don't already have one. Pour in enough gasoline to cover the sample. Check on it over the course of a few days. If it has shrunk AT ALL, if the gasonline has become cloudy, the PVC is NOT SAFE.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Thank you for the info. I am thinking about the apple juice can seen on here. I would do an aluminum but I think that would require some sort of welding and I don't know how to do that. I can solder or glue and that is about it. And by the way with this info obviously the pvc tanks are not for sale.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
How about aluminum water bottles with screw on cap. I bought one for $1 at a dollar store,at other stores they are $5-10. You take the bottle and drill hole on bottem screw in petcock or fitting use solder or jb-weld or something, add a vent for air somewhere that it wont leak, place on bottle holder somewhere on bike, connect fuel line and thats it.

I have not made this out of my bottle yet,but you can see in the 3rd and 4th pics that someone has.

Attachments

Last edited:

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I heard those water bottles have a lining inside of them. I have one and will check it out. Maybe I will cut it in half to inspect the inside and test it with gasoline and if it works buy another one for a tank.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
i've experimented with this...you can buy the stainless steel bottle at Rosses for about 4 dollars...perfect bottle...no lining...if you look close you will see the cap has a vent in it ...as long as the bottle head is above the gas you'll be ok...also tried to buy one from red rock cycles????i think its a great idea...i dump my gas after a ride so i dont have gas in my apt...this would make it fast...i purchaed a pit cock from sick bike parts and it come out fat...but no tank filter...keep a clean tank...Dennis

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
well, i purchased 3 of them...yes in the ross clothing store...not aluminum...stainless steel...no lining...they will work...but get a hold of red rock cycles.com...i talked to them and i was under impressions that you could purchase one from him all done up...good luck...Dennis

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Actually mine is aluminum and has no vent on cap, is fuel safe and no lining inside, you look inside threw top hole, if no plastic inside and all you see is grey or silver metal then there is no lining, plus you can feel inside with your finder. Mine cost $1 at a dollar store where everything is a dollar, i will buy many more.