Blown Head Gasket With Pictures

GoldenMotor.com

JG88cc

Sep 22, 2010
San Diego
Hola,

So I'm pretty sure I blew the head gasket, but I like to consult the form before changing anything.

Symptoms:
  1. Leakage between the first and second fin at the front of the engine (the spray onto the bike is shown partly in the first photo.)
  2. chirping when the engine is started
  3. loss of power

Below are pictures of the gasket, head and plug. I'd appreciate your advice and experience.

Thanks

IMG_1454 by JGibbsLTD, on Flickr

IMG_1452 by JGibbsLTD, on Flickr

IMG_1459 by JGibbsLTD, on Flickr

IMG_1456 by JGibbsLTD, on Flickr

IMG_1466 by JGibbsLTD, on Flickr

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
looks like it is leaking,might be useable yet if no physical damage,,,, are u still useing the cap over nuts?,,,,does the head set level w/out the slightest bit ou rocking on a piece of glass,,, oil mix 24-32/1,,, there are threads exlpaining how to make (sand gently on a piece of glass)the head flat and about replacing the head nuts w/less pretty but way more effective regular shoulder nuts that won't bottom out,,,head nut torque is only "12 ft pounds" I think(not very much)it is listed in several threads,,,might type questions in the search bar at the top of the page

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
This is a "blown" head gasket & what happens if ya fergit to torque the headbolts properly on a new motor :oops: ;

You've a comparatively simple sealing problem, corgi's advice outa fix ya right up (^)

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
i think the other one was just starting leaking and hadent got to the catistrofic failure point yet,kind of like a water pump leaking ,or leaving it and the bearings breaking and the fan eating the radiator