Head Gasket ??

GoldenMotor.com

steef

Dec 21, 2009
Louisiana
I think I blew the head gasket on my motor.The motor turns over fairly easy with the clutch engaged.
It looks like it's leaking gas under the head gasket, and the *#@^ thing won't crank.
Is it better to buy a new gasket or just make one, and what about torquing the head, do I need any special tools?

Evan

Dec 6, 2009
Mount Vernon, WA
The info that I have says torque to 12-15 foot pounds in an 'X' pattern. And I would buy a gasket for it rather than make one because the ones for heads are partially metal rather than all asbestos. I don't claim to be an expert so before you do anything see what everyone else has to say

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
You need a torque wrench.
Should anyway.
You could make one out of copper plate.
Prolly should change the base gasket.
My 1 motor acts the same way when the base gasket is gone.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Your the torque wrench! all the bolts are 10mm so never use anything bigger than a 1/4 ratchet or a 10mm spanner and dont jump on em

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
If the gasket looks OK just heat it up with a blowtorch and let it air cool, then reassemble it, if the gasket is not cracked then its not the problem. A little leakage out of the head is almost normal with these things.

If you really want to get rid of the leakage you should sand the mating surfaces smooth on a piece of glass covered in sandpaper.

BTW i wouldn't advise buying a new base gasket, just make one out of a roll of gasket paper. The whole roll will cost you about the same as one gasket will, and you can use it for all your gasket needs.