98cc Villiers on a 1945 Sears Roebuck

GoldenMotor.com

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks and you are correct. Excited and can't wait to get back at it. At my desk now and wanting to sneak away! Two stroke smoke was still hanging in the air when I left. I'm guessing I won't get back to it until Saturday at the soonest. Until then this will get me by:

https://imgur.com/a/IgEZ2

Sound doesn't work for me on these. They're recorded on an iPhone and translated to MP4 using an app. The original works on my phone but won't upload here or on imgur or what's-it's-bucket and I can't view the mp4 on my phone or iPad. Oh well, no puffs of smoke out of the carb this time anyway.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hearing them run is sure 'nuff a motivator Curt...
For sure, like when i bought my Lauson off eBay, just a parts motor. When it came, it took the flywheel off cleaned the points, put gas in the plug hole, boy did it bark. $20 + shipping. Now ready to go into the bike...................Curt

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Have brand name for that hi temp red RTV? I'm familiar with stuff like Plasti-Dip but nothing else red. I did put a thick chunk of rubber between the HT wire and coil connection point and the case held in place with an industrial double back adhesive tape, but potting it with a silicone would be good.
This stuff is flexible, that is why I like it. If it were not the wire moved at the point of exit from the potting material would break just the same as the epoxy the coil is encased in.

Permatex® High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...s/permatex-high-temp-red-rtv-silicone-gasket/

I even made a make shift spark plug boot with the stuff. I know you won't do that as it does not have good esthetic looks and would not be desirable. It is not that thick, so I made a dam and then kept shaping it after removal of the dam with a little bit more. Just ruff up the dried stuff and more sticks to it well.

If the area like I used the potting for a newly repaired low tension coil wire, is not to be showing, then similarly the high tension toaster wire look could be potted also. Otherwise I have the jitters when handing these old brittle or loose connection to the magnetos that otherwise could be saved. Maybe even use two part epoxy first which would be underneath the somewhat flexible potting RTV stuff.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Thanks for the link Ludwig. I'm pretty sure there's something similar here but probably a DOW product. I'll just need to check labels for compatibility with gas and oil. I'll also want to be sure there's no acidic cure (smells like vinegar) because the out-gasing will corrode the solder joints and any exposed copper wire and metal.

I agree potting is a good idea Rick. As long as the wires are not nicked and there's a reasonable strain relief the joints should be fine for vibration. No solder wicking up the wire under the insulation either. It's good practice to secure the wire itself though otherwise there's a chance for breakage. Potting the connections will happen once I know everything is working as it should. Reworking potted wires is a pain!

Had it running for a short bit this morning before running out of time (that I shouldn't have been spending in the garage anyway - never too old to be a delinquent I guess). The flywheel has marks that align with marks on the case and the crank according to the repair manuals. The manuals also say there's a mark on the chain drive side that indicates DTC. All of those things were either gone or did not match each other on this engine. Guess that's what happens over time. You never know if it's all original unless you bought it new or maybe if you bought it from the original owner. Not complaining just saying that the cues that I was using were leading me astray. Pretty close to correct now but I'll need more tinkering time to get it right. I'm much more encouraged having it fired up again!
==============
I'll just need to check labels for compatibility with gas and oil. I'll also want to be sure there's no acidic cure (smells like vinegar) because the out-gasing will corrode the solder joints and any exposed copper wire and metal.
==============
It says intermittent with gas & oil I think, see description.

I do know that gassing out, that vinegar smell, this stuff does that heavily for a few days. In warm temperature after that is seems to be gone.

The grounding wire from the coil, I use (two) external star tooth washers and sand off oxidation. Flat washers also if needed with the ring terminal at the end of the wire. On the lamination of the coil I also use for at least one screw a few external star tooth washers to get a good connection to the engine case Then sometimes I have even also used that High Temp RTV at those points as it can easily with a knife or screw driver be scraped off for maintenance or repair.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
That's the same length I've had in mind Harold. Did you change the temper or did the original heat treatment work out for you? The bike I want to build the forks for is about 85 lbs. with the current forks, so not real heavy. Thanks for your help. Rick C.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
No problem Rick. I wish I could be of more help but I don't have much in the way of feedback on the ride of my fork. It tracks straight pushing it into the driveway so I can sweep out the garage. I've got that going for me!
I've leaned into it pretty hard on the stand while building the bike and haven't come close to bottoming the travel with only two leafs. No tempering but I have bent them for mounting using a torch. Like I said, wish I could be more help. Got it started finally on the first day with snow. Odds of testing out that fork are getting worse.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Wow is this thing finicky. Will not start again. Probably need to mess with the timing some more but one thing is for sure, I'm going to figure out how to put an electric starter on it over the winter! After kicking that thing for the last hour I'm huffing and puffing like an old man that sits at a computer all day....

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Harold I remember now your question about spring temper. My short term recollections are not what they once were, but once they were. I'll just need to mock up the shortened spring section with the girder fork once all parts are in hand.

Rick C.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have bent them for mounting using a torch, The old school way , do you know how many hot rodders reversed the eyes on front leaf spring, using a torch. LOL.
I re curved some on anvil, with hammer. ( use press next time ) My snowmobile springs are about a foot long also, 3 leaves

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I've spent a bunch of early mornings over coffee and late nights when the house gets quiet to go through this thread and update the photo links. I think I've got them all but could be wrong. None the less, photo-what's-it is no more in this thread. Hooray for this site and the admins for photo hosting! Reading some of my posts to get an idea of what the pics should be I noticed how often I mention that I won't have time or haven't had time to work on my build. In retrospect I think I have been simply expressing my desire for more time away from responsibilities. Not too unusual I would guess but maybe a little whinny. Well I'm not going to get to work.... Just kidding.

I did recently get an early Christmas gift from my wife that I hope will improve the performance of this and any future builds. I've been wanting a Pashley Guv'nor for quite a while and one came up on the Chicago CL. The plan is to burn off a few pounds and then my Villiers won't need to haul so much of a load!

image.jpeg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I've spent a bunch of early mornings over coffee and late nights when the house gets quiet to go through this thread and update the photo links. I think I've got them all but could be wrong. None the less, photo-what's-it is no more in this thread. Hooray for this site and the admins for photo hosting! Reading some of my posts to get an idea of what the pics should be I noticed how often I mention that I won't have time or haven't had time to work on my build. In retrospect I think I have been simply expressing my desire for more time away from responsibilities. Not too unusual I would guess but maybe a little whinny. Well I'm not going to get to work.... Just kidding.

I did recently get an early Christmas gift from my wife that I hope will improve the performance of this and any future builds. I've been wanting a Pashley Guv'nor for quite a while and one came up on the Chicago CL. The plan is to burn off a few pounds and then my Villiers won't need to haul so much of a load!

View attachment 96860
Lovely bike Harold! Though this forum is dedicated to "motorized" biking I suspect many if not most just love bicycles. I have one motorized bike that I often pedal drive at a leisurely pace. & a custom built, full suspension bicycle that I can keep up a good pace on...plus other bicycles that I just like. I've a 80's era Cannondale mountain bike that I modified to a fixie that is fun too. I use to buy very lightweight & expensive road bikes, but decided that it was better, cheaper and healthier to take off 10 pounds of fat, while adding one pound of muscle mass to myself & enjoy the bikes I had to feel much lighter. I think you're making a very wise New Years decision with an early Christmas present & revealing to others a real performance boosting accessory for their moto biking. Ride fast without hauling *#! Rick C.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Rick. As usual you're right on the money. I had finally resigned myself to not being the same type of rider that I had been so in 2012 I sold my steel Serotta and lightweight bits and pieces. It was hard to not see myself as a hardcore roadie anymore but my PayPal account looked good and that payed for a lot of previous builds. Unfortunately I'm now much fatter than my account ever was! I know I can drop a few but I know myself and it needs to be fun to happen!

Weather in the 40's this week. Maybe some garage time in my near future.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
As is typical I post a bunch then disappear for a while (at least from my own thread). It's been mighty cold so little to no progress lately. I'm looking for a little feedback - We are down sizing houses. Empty nesters and all that jazz. I'm not real excited about moving all of the stuff I've accumulated including this mostly finished bike. Any suggestions on my best bet for reducing my load? Should I try to sell it as is and what is a fair price? Part it out? I'm a generous guy but giving it all away doesn't help me cover moving expenses and the cost of whatever is next. Like I said, looking for suggestions.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
WOOT ! I get the first suggestion. DONT SELL IT! Its too fantastic, unique, wonderful, and full of unobtainium ( in America anyways ) May even have some ALUMINUM ( Ludwig ) in it... Second thought; Craigslist will get you squat. If you MUST sell it I'd research every biker bar for 200 miles around, get the email address of the manager and send pics. One of them may be willing to pay a decent price to put it over their bar.