Airwalk Bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hey Wick Welcome to the forum.

I have never seen that bike and know nothing about it. Hopefully another member might have more info for ya.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Welcome to the forum! Never heard of that bike until now! That looks like a neat bike to mount a in frame tank on. I am guessing here but I think think a Chinese 2 stroke will fit into the bottom of that frame like a glove. I could not find any reference to this bike on the forum tho.

Wick

Dec 10, 2010
St. Paul, IN
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I have been doing a lot of searching around for my first project bike and came across the Airwalk. I have searched here and other forums, but can't find much info on it. I guess I was mainly wanting to find out if it is a complete hunk of junk. I will end up swapping a lot of parts out in the future, but I want a decent (but cheap) bike to start out with. I just really dig the frame on this bike.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Welcome to the forum! Never heard of that bike until now! That looks like a neat bike to mount a in frame tank on. I am guessing here but I think think a Chinese 2 stroke will fit into the bottom of that frame like a glove. I could not find any reference to this bike on the forum tho.
I have been staring at that frame for a while the way the cranks are further forward The V angle looks like it might be too wide for a china 2 stroke? I could be wrong I have never seen one mounted yet.

This might be a help full link while you shop..

Engine Template - Motorized Bicycle: Engine Kit Forum

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Welcome,Wick.That is a nice looking bike!
The only thing that bothers me is that it's only rated for 200lbs?
The OP roller is rated for 275lbs and is an aluminum frame that is tig welded.
That Airwalk is steel so if you deside on the Airwalk check the welds!
If they look like worms stuck around the joints,Airwalk away! Kip.
[email protected]

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
it's made in china, doesn't list what the frame is made of, and they only cover it for 30 days. i admit i like the frame shape, but i wouldn't trust it honestly.

Wick

Dec 10, 2010
St. Paul, IN
Thanks for the replies guys. You have been very helpful. I was concerned about the build quality myself, but I really like the looks of the frame. I guess I was just hoping that someone here had some experience with it. Not sure I am willing to risk it for my first build.

I had not seen the OP Roller while I was searching around. That looks like a decent starter bike (cheap too), but I have read a few things about not using a motor on an aluminum frame. Anyone had any experience with this bike, or any other suggestions for a relatively cheap starter bike? My only sticking point is that it have black or red rims. I am going to paint the frame, but don't want to mess with the wheels.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Thanks for the replies guys. You have been very helpful. I was concerned about the build quality myself, but I really like the looks of the frame. I guess I was just hoping that someone here had some experience with it. Not sure I am willing to risk it for my first build.

I had not seen the OP Roller while I was searching around. That looks like a decent starter bike (cheap too), but I have read a few things about not using a motor on an aluminum frame. Anyone had any experience with this bike, or any other suggestions for a relatively cheap starter bike? My only sticking point is that it have black or red rims. I am going to paint the frame, but don't want to mess with the wheels.
in terms of the thing not breaking this is not a bad choice, relatively easy just need to make a few small mods to it (and get it with the 36T sporocket optio, doesn't cost extra)

to make the mods you need a grinder and a dremel. but iv'e been askin around and everyone i talked to said it was a good bike and would easily hold up to the motors vibrations and the rims would hold.

Worksman Cycles - Design Your Own Cruiser

Worksman Cycles - Industrial Bicycles Home

the $300 and $339 bikes are virtually identical, you just don't get fenders on the cheaper one, and you can only get it in 3 colors instead of 4 (unless you want to pay extra.

i know $300-$340 mite seem like a lot, but its an investment, if you have to buy 3-4 $120-$150 bikes because your frames keep cracking every 6-8 months, $300 forever seems like a steal to me.

good luck :) working on getting one myself for my first build.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi,Wick.The OP Roller has a very sturdy frame.
I think that most all of the frame falures that you see is from falty mounting not aluminum frames.
You have to pay close attention to the mounts.
If you gomp together a mount with plumbing hangers and exhaust clamps,you can't blame any frame for failing.
I've seen mounts with fastners that aren't straight with the mount.
You also have to consider how you are going to treat you MB,if your going to beat the snot out of it build it for that,heavy spokes,front suspension,ect.
Common sense goes a long way.
And in my opinion the simpler the better!Kip.
[email protected]

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Hi,Wick.The OP Roller has a very sturdy frame.
I think that most all of the frame falures that you see is from falty mounting not aluminum frames.
You have to pay close attention to the mounts.
If you gomp together a mount with plumbing hangers and exhaust clamps,you can't blame any frame for failing.
I've seen mounts with fastners that aren't straight with the mount.
You also have to consider how you are going to treat you MB,if your going to beat the snot out of it build it for that,heavy spokes,front suspension,ect.
Common sense goes a long way.
And in my opinion the simpler the better!Kip.
[email protected]

i disagree, aluminum is well known for not going so well when it comes to welds, as well as being a semi soft metal. if cracked aluminum frames just from regular street biking and im not a super heavy guy, heaviest iv'e ever been was 170lbs. haven't cracked my GTs frame or welds in 3 years nice steel frame 20" bmx bike.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi,matthurd.Let's compare apples with apples not apples with oranges!
The OP Roller is a perfect bike for a FIRST build it has a sturdy TIG welded Aluminum frame that lends it's self very well to being motorized.
Perfect LOW cost FIRST build!
I might be wrong but I take from what I've read that is what Wick is shooting for,for his FIRST build.Kip.
[email protected]

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Hi,matthurd.Let's compare apples with apples not apples with oranges!
The OP Roller is a perfect bike for a FIRST build it has a sturdy TIG welded Aluminum frame that lends it's self very well to being motorized.
Perfect LOW cost FIRST build!
I might be wrong but I take from what I've read that is what Wick is shooting for,for his FIRST build.Kip.
[email protected]
how is that relevant to the fact a not so heavy person can crack an aluminum frame quite easily, by riding it the way it was meant to?

you're right it's a low cost, know what frequently comes with low cost (not always but frequently) low quality.

if i can break things like that doing what they were meant to do, how well do you think it will hold up to abuse it was never meant to take?

hes much better off taking the time to find a steel framed bike with a shape he likes, even if it costs a bit more.

but maybe that's just me. don't see how apples and oranges are involved though.