Maine State Newbie's Introduction

GoldenMotor.com

ElijahLienhardt

Jun 10, 2013
Portland, Maine
6'2, 213 lbs with clothes

About 5-6 weeks ago, walking home, guy on a good sized mountain bike peddles by. At first, I didn't notice anything, it wasn't a roller so the back of the bike was normal. Suddenly, he makes a U-turn, and this little engine fires up. He's barely peddling but friggin cruisin like nothing now. So, I thought to my self for a second and came to the conclusion that I shall make my own. I plan to treat mine like my own car since I don't have a car and I've been walking and skating around.
Googled motorized mountain bike when I got home and researched and compared for a couple hours then purchased a 50cc HT from "luckyearlybird" on eBay that night.(whom I later found is not the finest) I've had plenty of time to read up on things and look closely at these parts (not that I've learned everything there's so very much more). I want to swap everything out with heavy duty reliable, parts. I get paid tomorrow and plan to buy the $239 SBD shift kit. Not that I am going to install it before breaking the engine in, this I am skeptical about.
My next step is the bike. I'm shooting for durability and longevity for long trips. I don't plan to beat on this little HT by any means, I want to keep it real nice and running smooth always. I live in a city which is built on a hill/s, not a mountain, for the most part its gradual.
So I have 50cc slant black HT from eBay and I am hoping there is no friggin' cigarette butt in the crankcase. But I have alot of questions and would like to start here..
What is the most reliable and durable front suspension mountain bike NEW in the market for 500-800 USD? (one that would obviously have good clearance for the shift kit and modifications)
Is it a very bad idea to change anything before break in? ( carbs, jets, airfilters, exhaust, intake manifolds etc etc)

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I use a Staton Inc shiftkit with an autoshift derailleur. I put the shiftkit on when I first got my kit. It's never caused a problem for my 4 stroke engine. I currently have the only gas powered bike in the world that shifts 5 gears automatically.