help with grubee skyhawk gt5

GoldenMotor.com

msagnelli

Mar 22, 2012
lansing, mi
recentlly bought skyhawk gt5 and have problems.
Kit information was all wrong.
Download was all wrong.
Josh at tec service was unhelpful.
He said "we import from China and I have no control"
Unit won't idle.
No info on carb. Not sure about choke: witch doesn't seem to work.
Josh says there is no mixture screw only an idle screw (which doesn't work.)
By the way, no info on this carb.
Why would someone sell a kit without installation instructions??
All the mechanicals are ok.
Problems with getting it running. Have used 16:1 mixture and it SMOKES.
Was told to use that for 1st gallon of gas then change to 20 or 25:1
Has any one had problems with installation??
Any help would be appreciated.
Contact me here or at [email protected]
Thanks for your help.
(Probably should have come here 1st !!!)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The instructions suck....so DON'T use 16 or 20:1, go to 40:1. That will fatten up the fuel to air ratio. If you turn the idle screw all the way in, it should move the slide up a bit before the screw bottoms out, are you saying it doesn't move the slide?

Last edited:

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Hi Msagnelli ... Have you gone to the Grubee web site? They have most of the info you are referring to on their site. Just Google Grubee skyhawk and select your engine then the installation manual.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I assume you are talking about the new 2011 Skyhawk kits gasbike/Kings are selling? The ones with the old CNS ver 1 carb with all the plastic tubes, POS air filter that is too long so they include this long lame Z intake pipe opposed to Ver 2 CNS that had an idle mix screw, red flat filer, and only one vent and drain tube?

I got 2 in last week 2 in earlier this week and 2 more on the way from gasbike.
The first orders were different, no telling what the new ones will have.

*Buying Tip... on the Buy page of gasbike you will find 2009 Flying Horse kits are discontinued but let you get a 2011 for $5 more, $10 less than that kits buy page.

Anyway, if your seat tube angles back enough that old CNS carb/filter will fit with a regular intake, I put one on my bike to try it out and it runs great.

I have a new kit/used bike build with GT5 Z-intake old CNS I suspect you have and it runs pretty well, if you can call running as fast as a stock 2009 48cc with NT carb fast, but it has the same issues you have, wildly fluctuating idle.

I'll try to get back here with findings but I am have a major issue with the fiber optics going to my server so other than a temp page I have set up, my KC's Kruiser site is down all but this http://vales.com/KCsBikes

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
recentlly bought skyhawk gt5 and have problems.
Kit information was all wrong. Par for the course.
Download was all wrong. See above
Josh at tec service was unhelpful.
He said "we import from China and I have no control" They don't
Unit won't idle. Carburetor piston inserted wrong, vacuum leak
No info on carb. Not sure about choke: witch doesn't seem to work. Maybe a vacuum leak
Josh says there is no mixture screw only an idle screw (which doesn't work.)
It has to work, again vacuum leak
By the way, no info on this carb. Easiest to go through.
Why would someone sell a kit without installation instructions?? Most do not, I get them with all my kits but they are supplied by most vendors online.
All the mechanicals are ok.
Problems with getting it running. Have used 16:1 mixture and it SMOKES.
Was told to use that for 1st gallon of gas then change to 20 or 25:1
20:1 to start with then go to 32:1 using a oil designed for air cooled engines.
Has any one had problems with installation?? Yes....nothing new, nothing that can't be fixed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Contact me here or at [email protected]
Thanks for your help.
(Probably should have come here 1st !!!)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Umm Al, for future reference, it might be best for current and future viewers of this topic not to be sent to frigg'n Google web search ad slam link pages if you have the actual web page of the site you meant him to go to.

IN short, if the link name has Google (or any others search engine) name it please don't post it.
Google is already becoming the unregulated 'Big Brother' everyone has feared for years.

msagnelli

Mar 22, 2012
lansing, mi
Thank you for all your help. I will try the vaccuum leak although Ive tightened all the carb screws and don't know where a vaccuum leak could come from. I will screw the idle screw all the way in. Will also go to 32:1 on the gas mixture.The unit has 2 unused tubes and one vent drain tube. Am thinking that 1st of all the mixture is to rich (16:1) so I will change it, Was worried about lubrication. Thanks again for all your help. Will post when I change everything.

msagnelli

Mar 22, 2012
lansing, mi
Have change mixture to 32:1 and unit runs for 5 minutes and then dies.
Idle screw still has no effect. Not shure if it opens the slide.
Maybe the vaccuum leak is the O ring on the carb. I will look into it.
I assume it's the connection to the engine, or maybe the manifold connection.
Seems to run ok for awhile then dies. Choke still screwy.
What a nightmare. thanks for your help.
We will get this thing running!!!
thanks again.
Mike

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Runs for a few minutes and quits.....when it quits, do you have spark at the plug? Could be a crankshaft seal (1 or both). The carburetor to the intake hook up (O ring), or the intake manifold to cylinder gasket. To test for a leak if you can't find it either pull a vacuum (best) or put pressure in the case... about 5#. Block off intake and exhaust and use the plug hole. Piston at BDC. How are you set up for tools, if any?

If you have a CNS carburetor, get rid of it and get a NT, so much easier to work on.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Do you have an idle speed adjustment screw AND and idle mixture adjustment screw?

If brand new, I wouldn't expect it to idle perfectly, and I would not let one idle for that long, Period! The clutch is not designed for that sort of use, IMO.
U might want a 2nd opinion on that part.

If the idle mixture screw is doing nothing, u probly got an intake leak.
CNS must be pressed firmly onto the intake spigot, as you tighten the clamp.
Over-tightening WILL break things!

Some RTV goop applied to the outside of the carb clamp could help A LOT!

and it's a chinagirl.
There could be a whole raft of other probs contributing to the poor idle!!!
bad gasket, warped manifold, pinholes in castings or welds, internal carb problems, just basic CNS performance!!! the possible probs are nearly endless. lol

But it sounds like u DO have it running...
I would run it around and worry abt the idle capability after getting some miles on it.
... more fun!

Best to read the carb adjustment threads already posted... tons of good info in them.
Welcome to the club!
rc