rubber to insalate motor

GoldenMotor.com

supernaut

Jan 8, 2012
KY
I will be using split copper pipe to protect the 51mm/2in. alum frame tubes from the compression of the muffler clamp mounts. I can't see how a copper pipe shim and a quick wrap w/hockey stick tape could hurt.

ETA: I don't mean to beat a dead horse. My initial build demands that the alum tubes be shimmed. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. be well. J.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I cant type this tip enough! use leather!! get a good leather belt from your local thrift store for a quarter and be done with it! cut small pieces just big enough to go between engine and mount and kiss all your problems goodbye!

supernaut

Jan 8, 2012
KY
As long as I don't crank the clamps to extreme, will the leather provide the same protection to the alum tubes? I'm just trying to spread out the comperssion load on the thin alum. TIA.

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I myself will use rubber tape, because it is thin 1/16 and you can build up to the thicknesses required, also the type I am using fuses itself to the frame and motor mount so that it will not move under engine torque, which I believe is the cause of mount bolt breakage. It can be removed OK after removing the engine.
You can get it at any hardware store. It is used to seal pipes that are leaking and under pressure.
I would think that leather or rubber not fused to the frame and motor mount would move, no mater how tight you get it, but that is only how I see it, not the way it might work.
I don't say your way won't work, I just thought you might consider my idea before you try it. The only way to know is to try it.

Good luck in your efforts, let me know how it works. dance1

Last edited:

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I also have a aluminum frame, upgrade your mounting bolts, remove stock mounting studs and you will not have any problems. I have over 6000 miles on mine.

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I can't remember the address of the site I saw this on, but one of the motorized bicycle venders is selling a motor mount for the china motor that is suppose to reduce vibration and protect the frame. If I see it again I will save it.

brnot

supernaut

Jan 8, 2012
KY
Thanks for the replies.

Ron, maybe as time permits I'll get this thing angled out and mocked up. Then I will definitely be looking for a mount.

be well. J.