How old?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
74 and still going strong. I can remember when everything was either on or off with a switch.
buzzard
I remember when there was no voice mail or fax machines. There were only teletype machines which connected from point A to point B, and only to Associated Press to newspaper companies. They were as large as those huge sidewalk mail boxes oat the corner.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I ain't sayin but I can remember how excited I was when we got a telephone that you could dial instead of having to tell the operator what number you wanted.
So I guess you remember the party line with 12 families sharing the same phone line?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
When I got that first Schwinn varsity back in '68, one of the places I used to ride a lot was up to the pool- and I'd take the northeast leg of I465 in Indianapolis- they were still building it and there was sometimes nobody out there but me-

they just finished putting up a big concrete wall next to it a few years back- to try to keep the massive traffic volume noise down.

It was really something that an Interstate was then two lanes in each direction- and there weren't any wider stretches than that for a few years. that stretch of road is now about 4 lanes in each direction, and lots of urban Interstates are wider.

I could then pedal out of traffic in five or ten minutes in Indianapolis, and always in five minutes in Bloomington through the '70's. It's really really different now....

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I remember when there was no voice mail or fax machines. There were only teletype machines which connected from point A to point B, and only to Associated Press to newspaper companies. They were as large as those huge sidewalk mail boxes oat the corner.
I can remember friends who worked at the Mansfield News Journal complaining because they still used the old Linotype machines, and the occassional Mimeographs. The huge hulking Xerox photocopiers were at the time still deemed too unreliable. Oh, and I remember punch card readers.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
So I guess you remember the party line with 12 families sharing the same phone line?
OH Lawd, my parents hated our party line. HATED it. My mom was pregnant at the time with my youngest brother Chuck, and I still have clear memories of her going into labor and wanting to call ahead to her doctor - and some neighbor was on the line shooting the breeze with her hubby (at least we presume it was her hubby). Mom was so mad about the timing that she cut loose on the poor woman.

pop-leon

Apr 23, 2011
Hatteras n.c.
There is a lot of history on here so here goes some of mine. Born and raised on Cape Hatteras N.C we didn't have electricity, paved roads,water was caught in cisterns from the rain. All freight and mail was bought in by boat. During WW2 we could hear the explosions and see the fires from the ships that were torpedoed by the Germans. It was a great Island then but now the NP Service has closed a lot of the beaches for a few birds nest and fishing has just about gone by the way side. I left in 54 and put 20 yrs in the Coast guard came back in 74 and commercial ed fished for 25 yrs.