Board Track Inspired Retro Mod...Newbie

GoldenMotor.com

rook

Apr 15, 2011
florida
Okay I'm NEW to the whole motorized Bike thing. I just got a complete GT aluminum bike out of the trash (sweet!), and once I looked it over for a second my brain, as it always does, started cutting, chopping, lowering, and basically emphasizing it's better features to harken back to the old board track racers. Now I have the rolling chassis planned out, and I need to know a few things about gas powered bikes; 1) am I legally allowed to make it fully gas powered and just 86 the pedals? (whatever it takes...) 2) what is the gas mileage on a good 3-5 hp engine? 3) What would be the speed and torque range on said 3-5 hp engine? 4) what type of breaking system would be recommended for this set up?, and 5) that is all...for now

rook

Apr 15, 2011
florida
well I guess anything that would work, as far as motor. what size motor would get an aluminum bike up to 30-40 mph? I don't know if 30-40 is too high, but that's what I want to go for. As for the breaking system what do you all suggest? Oh and what type of tube would be best for fabricating some new lowered springer forks?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
well I guess anything that would work, as far as motor. what size motor would get an aluminum bike up to 30-40 mph? I don't know if 30-40 is too high, but that's what I want to go for. As for the breaking system what do you all suggest? Oh and what type of tube would be best for fabricating some new lowered springer forks?
Everybody here is likely to have different preferences in regard to brakes. We all have different bikes, with different power-to-weight ratios so different kinds of brakes will feel different on each bike. But if you're looking at stopping power: I like my new Sturmey-Archer drum brake that came with the HD front wheel I purchased from Pirate Cycles. It's easy to control the amount of braking force you want to apply, and FORCE is the operative word. It'll stop you fairly well. I imagine a disk brake would work pretty well too, but I don't know the brands well enough to recommend any.