chain rubbing chainstay

GoldenMotor.com

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
does anyone know of any material that i cant put on ,y chain stay,to keep it from eating thru my chain-stay. Ive rode it maybe 50 miles,and its made a noticeable groove in my stay.some kind of supper plastic or i know there's something out there.thatll hold up to chain rub

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
Look up HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene) online...this is amazing stuff and easy to work with. Check out my post on tank mounts. I used it for that.
good find only i have to buy 10 feet of it lol but im going to tryin ill find other uses for it.and i like the diffrent shapes they have,and is this stuff heatable like getting a sheet of it and form it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd try for a better chain alignment before adding bandaids. Why is the chain hitting? If the chain path is correct then you might want to explore spreading the chain stay at the hub to give you the needed clearance. Are you using a chain tensioner on the engine drive side?
Tom

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
If it's already worn a "groove" in your chain stay, I can tell you, from personal experience, now is the time to find another bike to put that motor on. Like Tom said find a way to get the chain away from the stay for now, in the end you'll be much safer on a bike that has room for the motor chain.

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
its wore a spot but nothing i think is detrimental to strength ive already spaced out the stays with 1/4 inch spacers and its not rubbing alot it just flops over and hits it and no i dont run a tensioner, and put anti abrasive on the stay dont think itll be a banaid,no more than putting a tensioner on it. would be a bandaid

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
Which side of the chain is rubbing. The tension side, which would be the top, or the slack side , the bottom. If it's the slack side, the tenshioner would be the answer.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
When I said I was speaking from experience, I was talking about my first build. The motor chain was close to the chain stay but it was not touching it, until I was riding down the road. Then it would occasionally touch the stay. Ended up getting a hole in the stay and had to trash that frame.

Trust me this is not something you was to put off.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Spread the rear of the frame open a little & add extra washers to the axle; (between the hub & frame.)
This will give you the chain/ frame clearance you're looking for. ;)

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
ive already got about a quarter inch spacer on it already ,im going to cut the brace were your fender bolts on off,and spread the stays apart a re-weld a support back in i think itll fix my problem just work long hours and havent had a chance to tear it apart yet

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Using a chain tensioner isn't a 'bandaid' on some bike frames, it's a necessity. Due to chain stay design some frames will not allow running without a way to guide the chain away from the chain stay.
Installed correctly a tensioner is far from the 'bad guy' that some make them out to be. The key word here is 'installed correctly'. If you've had bad luck with a kit supplied tensioner then it might be that you have not read the numerous threads devoted to the subject. Spreading the chain stays is one way to get the necessary clearance. Apparently you've tried that without success. Now you might want to explore a way to 'guide' the chain away from the frame and that would be the use of a tensioner.
There is a lot of good advice available here on ways that others have addresed this problem. Use the search feature, keyword, 'tensioner' to see what your options are.
Tom

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
yeah ive put tensioner on my other numerous builds in the past and and know alll about building these tinker toys ive used every kind of tensioner you could possibly create out of derailleurs to old timing chain guides from a 99 cavalier, so i think the weld and spread will work,im pretty handy with a welder so ill scrap the frame before i use a noisey tenisor, ive built many of mb's without them

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Cutting the frame & re welding it seems a bit drastic.
As 2door said, there is plenty of good advice here of other ways to do it. You can also add more washers... (if the axle is long enough?) In the past I've added up to 1/2" to each side to fix this problem. ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you're a welder then consider something like this.
As for quiet; this rig is noiseless and this particular one has over a thousand miles on it without a problem.
I'll agree that the kit supplied tensioner leaves something to be desired but don't discount what can be done with a little ingenuity as far as a chain tensioner is concerned.
Tom

Attachments

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
i fixed the rubbing problem i have a good inch or so of clearance.i cut the old fender bracket out,put a old hub in to keep the stay together.and put a scissor jackin and spread it out then welded a strip back in put about 40 miles on it and held up great

Last edited:

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I was having the same problem. Thanks for the tips!
I just added a couple spacers inside the left chain stay and problem solved!
No more rubbin! loldance1