Where do I get supplies for my project?

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
This is a great topic. I just responded to a question in the DIY section asking where to get pulleys and belts. These chinese engine kits are really nice and complete for builders who want to put something together quick and simple. A large percentage of this forum is made up of just that. But so many of us want much more out of a build. Especially the other catagories like Trikes, Boardtrackers, DIY, etc. I see so many different drive systems, like friction, belt, chain, steam, or combinations. How are you going to engineer something if you don't know what's available? Sure you can cut, weld, drill, tap, bend and grind on metel all day. Pulleys, sprockets, belts, chains, bearings and hardware are something not usually made in our home shops. I see a lot of guys putting something together with items supplied by Ace Hardware or Home Depot. If these same guys would just step into a place like McFaddendale Hardware or Industrial Metal Supply, I'm sure their jaw would drop from all the neat stuff carried by a real supplier to manufacturers and industry in general. I'll admit, I didn't research threads on this subject, but I think we would all welcome member input on different suppliers of fabricating supplies. Maybe a list to go in the Classic Instructions category.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Truely awesome thread MsrFan! I enjoy walking threw stores like that not knowing what I want or need until some odd thing presents it self. As well as finding some thing you didn't know "they" made. Crafty devils, them "they" are.

I had never heard of McFaddendaleYour Single Source Supplier: Departments , thanks.

Aside from Ace, (my local store wants to do a poster of one of my builds as almost all the parts came from there) I also really like; Grainger Industrial Supply

Tractor Supply Company - Home

Really looking forward to seeing what folks post. "The answers are out there"