How long have you known about China Girl Motorized Bicycle Kits? : Poll

GoldenMotor.com

How long have you known about China Girl Kits?

• Less than 6 months

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • 1 year

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • 2 years

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • 3 years

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • more than 3 years

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: How long have you known about China Girl Kits? : Poll

The old timers are catching up with the two year guys. Score tied at 27.03 as of right now.
Tom

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL

it's been almost exactly a year. I had always wanted to build a cool looking cruiser bike to ride around. My mountain bike started to come apart (literally) and so I decided that I was going to build my bike for Christmas last year. That was going to be my present to myself. I started talking about how cool it would be to put an engine on a bike (we deal with a lot of small engines in another hobby of mine) and I just did a google search for motorized bicycle. Once I saw how inexpensive they were, I was hooked. In my other hobbies, engines go for about $200-$400 (R/C aircraft) or $5,000-$10,000 (Corvettes).

I soon realized that you can spend a lot of money, $30 at at time! :D

Anyways, I got my cool looking retro-cruiser.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

This poll is staying true. 3/4 of us have only heard of China Girls less than 3 years. In my case only about 3 months. So much has changed since then.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

There was a guy that started selling them in Baton Rouge about 3 years ago for $139.00. Things may have changed since but the price is still 'bout the same.
I think there was a story about them on Popular science mag in the late 70' that catught my intrest,but that may have been the original Russian engines that the China girls are copies of.

Wayne Z

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL

Just over 3 years ago.

Was riding thousands of pedal-powered miles and thought that having a little motor assist would be nice sometimes. Would a weedwacker-type motor on a bike be feasible?

So I googled and found "the other bike site". From there I found out about this much better site.

I didn't really learn a lot from the forums regarding my build. I sort of had a plan in my head to start with and went with it. Worked out good for me.

I suppose I was checking out people's homemade MBs a while before I realized that the China Girls were such a common, standardized platform.

When this home-built Homelite gives up (still going - 2011 is gonna be its fourth year), I will probably go for a ChinaGirl/Shiftkit setup. But maybe not. I really do like the process of DIY.

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA

My first China Girl kit came from Baton Rouge in Nov. '04. I do not remember the dealer's name.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I saw someone with a China beach cruiser in about 04. Never tried one till about 08.. I was and still am a pretty hard core peddle and never have had any absolutely no use for spandex by the way. I like cool stuff that works tho. Eventually had to build one. This concept has been fun too!