I keep breaking things!!!

GoldenMotor.com

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
In the past few months I have severed 3 motor mount bolts (twice in the front, once in the back) and just yesterday my front motor mount bracket, which I thought would solve many problems, completely broke in two. Is there anything that is strong enough to hold the massive power of my 69cc slant head?

Any advice would be great. I'm tired of pedaling home......bf.

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
I don't want to go that route for sure.

Everything that I have had was mounted pretty solid, it just can't take the heat after awhile...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If you are breaking studs and shearing off mounts I would have to say the installation of the motor is incorrect causing you these problems.

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
well, the last piece to go was my front motor mount from SBP. Two tabs are still securely fastened to the motor, and the rest of the mount securely fastened to the bike, but the mount spilt in two
(actually three) pieces, which then allowed the motor to wiggle a bit, which made the chain fly off...

very messy to put back on, 4 times, before I noticed the mount was broken and pedaled home...

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
According to the instructions I received with my motor [Raw Motor] the mounting of the motor and proper alignment of the drive train are the most important part of the build. I must admit, I tried to mount my motor incorrectly and I did suffer the same fate as you. And my chain came off a lot of times. I was scared for a long time to open up the throttle all the way for fear that my motor would pop loose again, or the chain would come off again.

A mechanic removed and installed a new front motor mount stud for me and I switched to regular bike chain. All is well at 35+ mph. I drilled the frame though. I asked my mechanic to check the torque and he said it was not necessary. But he checked the head bolts anyway, all were still 12lbs. Sometimes I wonder if all of these quirky checks are actually individual engine faults or eccentricities.

I wish you the best mounting your engine and drive train. You'll get it, just be careful. .bf.

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
Drilling through the frame can be difficult though, especially if one bangs the **** out of the bar with a hammer first, like I did. My build was especially complicatied by the fact that I used the wrong sized bit and had to circle around a while to make the hole bigger. Oh well, it works fine now, but it's a permanent build. The bike would no longer be desirable without the engine.

I am contemplating purchasing a square with a hole in the middle to reinforce the frame where the main drill punctured the frame, but for now the nut doesn't seem to be sinking into the frame too much.

Last edited: