Currently down, need some advice...

GoldenMotor.com

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
Okay, so my bike has been down for a few months now (during peak riding season...) because I haven't really had time to fix it. It has a problem that is all too common and has happened to me 4 times, a motor mount bolt has busted off clean into the engine block. The other three times it was the front mount. They came out easy enough by dremmeling a slot and using a screwdriver. This is the first time that a rear mounting bolt has broken for me. It would be easy to get to except that I have a shift kit, so a lot of things have to come off first (and possibly the motor, which is a lot of work on a bike like mine)

So my big question is, does anyone know where I (we) can get some strong, hardened, bolts that won't snap off? The local hardware stores only carry grade 8 (hardened steel) bolts in standard sizes, nobody seems to carry hardened metric bolts, especially not that small.

Any ideas?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well in San Diego, we have an amazing little hardware store called Marshall's. It is a division of Ace Hardware and they have everything in that aspect and more. This place is like a candy store for builders like me.

I have no idea where your located, but you need to find a store like this....or come on down to San Diego and check it out, you'll be glad you did!

You will have to remove the motor to remove the snapped stud for starters so you'ld better get crackin'. You'ld probably be best off re-drilling and tapping larger threads for a larger bolt. Just don't over-tighten things and use good locking washers and or medium Loc-Tite. For a little extra support to take stress off of the f&r motor mounts, I'll sometimes run a strap off of the top tube to one or two of the cylinder head bolts. This really helps keep the engine in place. Just a thought. Good luck!

Last edited: