worried about wheels

GoldenMotor.com

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
i am worried that my tires are going to blow while i am riding. they look very old and the wheels are not true either. their is a slight wobble to the rear wheel as well..

my question is, what kind of rims should i be buying, and what should I know..? I am new to motorized bicycle riding so any help would be appreciated..

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
also, my frame is very small.. i need 24' tires.. but it runs really nice.. ill get a picture tomorrow.. the chain rubs against the frame a LITTLE bit at the back, but i don't think it makes much of a difference.. i think it rubs the tire a bit too, due to the wobble of the wheel...

has anyone ever had their tire blow while riding? if so, were you able to safely stop without crashing?

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I had broken a spoke a few days prior and decided to go to the bike shop (via my motorbike) to get half a dozen new spokes. I zip tied the broken spoke (it wouldn't come off because it broke on the nipple end) to a remaining non broken spoke and went on my way. It made it all the way there no problem, but half way home that zip tied spoke slid and punctured my tube. I had those pre-slimed tubes and it made a huge mess all over my bike/engine... more-so because it dried during my walk home haha.

Anyways when my tire blew my back end became wobbly feeling and I just came to a slow stop. I just focused on keeping my balance as my back wheel was going left and right about 3 inches either direction. I would take my wheels off and down to the local bike shop to have them trued and tension the spokes. The shops here charge anywhere from 7-15$ for such a service. Also wearing a good helmet is always the way to go for the motorbikes, you can replace a bike but replacing your head would prove quite difficult.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If it were me I would invest in heavy duty wheels and new tires. It is the foundation of your bike. One trip to the emergency room is more than the wheels and tires will cost. Worksman, Husky and others are available. I just got a used Worksman front wheel with the built in drum brake. I bet it weighs as much as four regular rims. Yeah, on a pedal bike that would be more weight to pedal around, but you have a motoredbike, which is now a different critter than you started out with. There's a lot of peace of mind and smooth riding with heavy, well made wheels.
SB

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
there are terms i do not understand as well... drum brake is one of them

not only am I new to motorized bicycle riding, but I am new to mechanics as well.. I am going into my senior year in high school in the fall.. I have been taking steel fabrication courses though.. I have always been mechanically inclined..

that being said, I am pretty confident in my abilities to maintain this bike, as well as learn new things.. this forum is great :D

I have to be careful with the clearance of the wheels though.. anything wider than normal mtn bike wheels willl rub the chain..

im going to get a picture up soon

katoomer

Jul 15, 2010
Rose City MI
Truing wheels. ( making them run straight ) is not rocket science and I would not pay to have that done. Its quite easy to learn. Its not something I would explain right here but search over on youtube for a video maybe.

Mainly, If you are runnig a motorized bike this will be something that might be done more often because of the high mileage and higher speeds you might be running.

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I have bought a spoke wrench and am going to true my wheels later today with the help of my friend. I will be using youtube videos as a reference, and I have already read up on it.. this forum has tons of helpful threads to read.

I just bought a bike computer and have found this extremely useful. My top speed is 35 km/h with a 49cc china motor, running at ~20:1, just after or nearing the end of break in stage.. is this normal?