1960's rollfast...

GoldenMotor.com

mrfoochie

May 25, 2010
new orleans
howdy folks, i'm pretty new here and i have a couple questions for those wise in the ways of the motoredbike... i just got a skyhawk gt5 and can't decide on a bike... i have a 58 schwinn typhoon which i love to pedal and am hesitant to put the motor on... i also have a 60's rollfast with the twin top tubes and skinny second tube... i believe it is the same type of frame bairdco used for his first build... it feels so chintzy compared to the schwinn... is it an el cheapo or am i just a sucker for schwinn brazing? if i remember correctly bairdco's rollfast broke... was that anomalous or should i definitely not use the rollfast? i have thought about biting the bullet and ordering a worksman because i want the wheels, spokes, and front drum any way... what do you all think? thanks...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
those bikes are pretty much junk. i mean, they're cool for pedalling, but put any stress on them and they'll break. i don't think mine was just old and weak, i think the design just doesn't work wit the added stress of a motor.

worksman's are strong, but ugly. there's plenty of old bikes that'll adapt quite well with a motor, so if you want the old timey look, you can stalk ebay or craigs til you find one.

but if you like the look of a worksman, you can't go wrong with it.

mrfoochie

May 25, 2010
new orleans
got my eyes peeled... thanks for the confirmation on that twin tube bairdco... and barely, in the future i'll be careful about the bikes i mention... didn't know the moderators were so touchy here, sheesh...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Ah is jus' monday mornin' humor - which I'll freely admit is a recipe for disaster, I've got a motorized '40's Rollfast ya see so I thought I'd play a bit, no worries man ;)

bairdco & I chatted about the decline of Rollfast and how he had one that failed when we got goin' with http://motorbicycling.com/f38/rustoration-build-off-13144.html, whereas my older one was still when they had good, stout tubing & heavy (if a lil sloppy) brazing.

Seriously, it's good to know of dangerously unsuitable frames - thank you for mentioning it :)

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
howdy folks, i'm pretty new here and i have a couple questions for those wise in the ways of the motoredbike... i just got a skyhawk gt5 and can't decide on a bike... i have a 58 schwinn typhoon which i love to pedal and am hesitant to put the motor on... i also have a 60's rollfast with the twin top tubes and skinny second tube... i believe it is the same type of frame bairdco used for his first build... it feels so chintzy compared to the schwinn... is it an el cheapo or am i just a sucker for schwinn brazing? if i remember correctly bairdco's rollfast broke... was that anomalous or should i definitely not use the rollfast? i have thought about biting the bullet and ordering a worksman because i want the wheels, spokes, and front drum any way... what do you all think? thanks...
The Schwinn Typhoon you have would make a good ride. If it has middleweight wheels there's enough room to mount heavy duty balloon tire rims, such as from Husky. (I'm guessing by 58 they were middleweights with 1.175 rims.) I motorized a couple of 63 Schwinn Americans and found the frames were quite strong, got heavy duty wheels for them and a front cantilever brake adapter. The middleweight fenders need to be adapted a bit, but can be made to work.
As for the Worksman, the HT engine is s snug fit, but they are great bikes. As for their being ugly, I don't agree with my friend Baridco, but it is all a matter of personal taste. A brand new Worksman with a new motor would be real nice...
SB

mrfoochie

May 25, 2010
new orleans
beautiful frame barely... i was teasing too... and bear, the typhoon is a medium weight with the 1.75's, i mocked it up and the engine fits like a dream, but it is my main commuter and i have it tuned up to roll so nice and fast i just don't want to add the weight... decisions... thanks for the input fellas...