Hopey Steering Dampener

GoldenMotor.com

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
Looking at getting one for my cruiser. I was almost thinking I could retro fit a motorcycle steering dampener one onto my bike but I came across the hopey one. Anyone else have one? Not that I plan on rolling down mountain terrain but since our bicycles typically go much faster than the average peddled bike it would most certainly help with potholes :) That horizontal movement can really get squirrely at times especially when you're going 40+ mph. It's a bit stiff retailing around $200+ for one. I'll definately be posting in a month or two when I get it.

Hopey Steering Damper Review

Hopey.org

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
Review Hopey Steering Damper
Great, another expensive widget you don't need, making your bike feel heavier.

... taken right from the review.
please leave dampers in racing... that thing is definitly a waste of money when it comes to a mb

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I'm zipping along at a standard cruise around 30 mph- no shake, no shimmy, no flop. I would guess there would be some bikes that could benefit from this, but a frame/fork comby with more appropriate trail would seem to be the answer. The steering dampener seems like an expensive solution only needed when the wrong frame and/or fork is used.

Last edited:

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
I'm zipping along at a standrd cruise aaround 30 mph- no shake, no shimmy, no flop. I would guess there would be some bikes that could benefit from this, but a frame/fork comby with more appropriate trail would seem to be the answer. The steering dampener seems like an expensive solution only needed when the wrong frame and/or fork is used.

Your right I wouldn't need this. Just another over the top toy :D I'll probably get it and probably regret it. We'll see either way.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I understand. The motto of my bike could be: "why spend pennies when you can spend hundreds of dollars" I'm not exactly in a good position to bring up "too much money"- ever.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
I have a 2 stroke 48cc skyhawk gt2b.

after coming back from a ride. it feels like I have been on a vibra-train machine.

apart from those soft handle grips. does anyone think, a steering damper, would reduce the amount of vibration? I know these arnt designed to do this. but i think one would help.

seen as im getting out the welder.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The vibration is coming from the engine. A steering damper would be of no help in this situation.

All of the HTs' vibrate alot. The best thing I ever did for mine to combat vibration was making a long exhaust for it and getting rid of the dangling sausage system.
The difference is like night and day, although there is still a little high RPM buzz in the handlebars.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Not meaning to shoot your idea down in any way here magicalpancake, but I have to agree with all the others who have made the point that the steering damper on your bike is a huge waste of money that could be much better spent purchasing upgrage mods from some of the great venders listed on each side of this forums page, you can buy another kit for what that useless contraption cost.

Like I said not meaning to offend, but that damper has got to be one of the biggest waste of money I have ever seen for putting on a MB..... to me it would be like putting some $200 peddles on the bike, would not make any difference in how the bike rides at all, period...Shrug

Peace, map

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
first, i will try that jaguar CDI ignition box.

when I mount the my shift kit, I will use some old lead wheel weights, between the frame of the bike and the shift kit/front engine mount.

and I will see how this goes.