Accidentally been starting up motorized bike with the choke off

GoldenMotor.com

clay830

Jan 29, 2017
Illinois
I built a motorized bike and was told to start up the bike by, turning choke OFF (leaving the choke open), pull in clutch, start pedaling, let out clutch but keep pedaling even though engine won't fully start (sputter), keep pedaling until engine stops sputtering and starts. Pull throttle and ride

I realized this is wrong and now am wondering if Ive been doing damage to my bike?

I now know I need to close the choke (turn it on), pull in clutch, pedal, let out clutch, open choke (off), then pull throttle and ride.

I just want to know if I did possibly did damage to engine by starting up with choke open (off)

Last edited:

clay830

Jan 29, 2017
Illinois
Another problem I am having is the engine won't idle. Once the bike warms up and starts running the bike moves on its own without any throttle. And it moves fairly fast. Any fixes?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It won't hurt the bike the way you're starting it; the choke is only needed if the bike is hard to start.

There's a small screw (with a spring) on the side of the carb for adjusting the idle.

Also... if there's any 'drag' while the engine's running?, try adjusting the clutch cable a little .

clay830

Jan 29, 2017
Illinois
I did the choke open start when it was cold so it was hard to start.

I will adjust the screw.

What do you mean by drag? Only at the beginning of riding it the engine goes, then stops/slows down a little then goes, then slows down a little bit. If thats what you mean.