Other drives, trailer/ trike/ extra wheel....

GoldenMotor.com

the13bats

May 3, 2012
Orlando
Okay being there is a Smilie for it,

.trlrl.

I would want to believe someone uses this style drive,

I would like to see the way some people worked out an extra wheel drive or the drive on the rear wheels of a Delta trike or bike car,

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
why add an extra wheel that can go flat. All single wheel trailers for cars had the trailer wheel so it could swivel. You may want to do more research on the disadvantages of doing this.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I think a power trailer is a good option for a longer, straight run.
Probably not the best for turny, stop and go traffic situations...
Controls would be a bit more difficult to fab effectively.

IMO, flats are not an issue if one follows the Goat Herder advisory of heavy duty tube and a generous application of Slime.

I spoke with a local rider with a mitsubishi 50cc trailer mounted on a swivel, pushing his MTB. He said he's got 5 years on it and cost was about $100/yr for replacement chain and plastic stuff that got wore out or broken during use. He's a daily rider, with any number of longer trips about the county. ...and he's got a 10" kart wheel.

Best
rc

the13bats

May 3, 2012
Orlando
why add an extra wheel that can go flat. All single wheel trailers for cars had the trailer wheel so it could swivel. You may want to do more research on the disadvantages of doing this.
Why ride a trike when we can do two wheels?

Here is the last delta trike I built about 15 years ago, from ground up,

It will haul dog food and then some....

You do realize that are countless ways to add a engine to a trailer...hence why I asked for some pictures.
I have been building pedal and motor driven recumbents and other "stuff" for well over 30 years, I have thought out what I want to build this time,
You have been in my other posts you know what I have planned, So I am assuming you have nothing positive to offer?
Rest easy, I have never seen a "wheel" go flat, tires do go flat but I never had it happen ( while riding ) in 30 years. laff

I think a power trailer is a good option for a longer, straight run.
Probably not the best for turny, stop and go traffic situations...
Controls would be a bit more difficult to fab effectively.

IMO, flats are not an issue if one follows the Goat Herder advisory of heavy duty tube and a generous application of Slime.

I spoke with a local rider with a mitsubishi 50cc trailer mounted on a swivel, pushing his MTB. He said he's got 5 years on it and cost was about $100/yr for replacement chain and plastic stuff that got wore out or broken during use. He's a daily rider, with any number of longer trips about the county. ...and he's got a 10" kart wheel.

Best
rc
I would LOVE to see pictures of his rig, with the kart wheel did he just go direct drive from engine to wheel or does he have a transfer case?
LOL...I have never had a flat on a bike ever, of course I have always used different things to pervent this,
On the other hand my buddy gets a flat a week and decided Slime is cheaper than tubes.
Sometimes we are the windshield and sometimes we are the bug....

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Hey Paul it's chris! I didn't know you were on this forum

I think some people sell those power trailers already built and ready to hook onto the seat post of any bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Q0fQWvDIs&feature=related

I think to add a 5fth wheel to a 4 wheel bike would just be a matter of being able to lift the wheel off the ground or be detachable like those trailers. Or if you go with a friction drive you could have a fifth wheel with a friction drive that can pivot off of the wheel. So when you want to pedal you can quickly pivot the motor above the wheel. Or vice versa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fVx0wDs87I I can't find the video where he shows how easily it pivots up and down when you want using the bicycle style quick release clamp.

You don't need a particularly powerful engine if you're going around the neighborhood. Any 50cc should push around a neighborhood and some hills at 20-30mph depending on how you're geared. Most engines you buy have built in centrifugal clutches and just need gearboxes. Which thatsdax.com has (youtube video is of duane at thatsdax)

I hope this helps in someway

Last edited:

the13bats

May 3, 2012
Orlando
Hey Chris, I have been into building recumbents and motor stuff longer than kit cars, lol,....had my first motor powered bicycle at 13 and built my first recumbent at 14

I have posted several threads but getting the impression most things here are based on "off the shelf" kits and such, not much from scratch,

I posted it in other threads but will dup here,

I picked up a 4 wheeler that looks just like this one,
( dont know make or model ) just better than my other surrey style.

While I like the dual pedals and plan to keep that I wanted to add an engine,
And the Steampunk in me got me drawn into this thing,

While I can figure out plenty of ways to do it I LOVE seeing how others do things, get ideas you know, I take some and use it and some I toss in the trash,

I could drive it with 4 wheels but that "Motor wheel" is just cool and something I want to putz around with, I could easy-o make an adapter to use it on a two wheeler also,

So why are you on here putzing with bikes when you could be getting that Laser going...?!?!?!?!?

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Aah don't let Ibedayank get to ya. This forum has a lot on using the "china girl" engine. There are quite a bit of custom builds though. I don't think so much in the way of trikes or quads though

I personally like the stretch bikes
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=28981

Lots of board tracker builds that aren't kits like this one:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=27693

Or building a 2 speed transmission for the predator engine
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35942&page=14
Video at the bottom

Anyways, I haven't been working on my bike instead of the laser. I've been working on these darn finals. I ride my bike to school. It's begging for a new rear tire and I never tightened something so my throttle cable isn't doing so hot... But I just need to to last till tomorrow and after that my main priority is going to be the laser. I'm not home to work on it which is the biggest problem. Come this monday though, I'm gonna be back at home for the summer and going full throttle on it. Immediately going to get the tools I need, drop the engine make a list of what it needs, pictures, the whole rodeo. Considering I don't have my own car until the laser is running, I certainly have more motivation beyond the cool factor :p We're considering making a new dash for it out of some real nice wood. We have a workshop for anything wood so we could make a fancy one, but I'm not sure if I'll do that right away. It wouldn't be too hard to do after gauges and switches are in place.

Believe me, I think about it every day. I'm sure you've been in my situation of that frustrated feeling of having a project your dying to work on but you can't because of something else. In this case school.. Monday though!! I'm pumped

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
" pictures of his rig, with the kart wheel did he just go direct drive from engine to wheel or does he have a transfer case?"

I'll hope to catch the guy when I have a camera handy...

What he's got is kinda like another fork, going backwards from the rear axle, to a steering neck from a bicycle front. His power unit is just like on a Go-ped powered skateboard kinda thing... a box stock mitsubishi with automatic clutch, 8mm chain to a go-kart rear wheel. He's got a long throttle cable.
That's about it!

Very simple and it's pretty quiet.
He starts it with the stock recoil starter.

Best
rc

the13bats

May 3, 2012
Orlando
Rustycase,
I have seen a few bikes that used actual go-peds to power them,

Chris, you know how many forums I own, mod or haunt no one gets to me, but when all a person adds is jabs or negitive remarks I do not have any time for them....

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
In some states they will take a solidly mounted extra wheel in total maximum wheel count of THREE wheels for it to make state law defining a bicycle. Add a solidly mounted forth wheel it is legally a automobile not a bicycle anymore. The farther you mount the drive wheel from the axle of the rear tires the more stresses the drive wheel will see when turning and the more flat land will be needed do to the risk of high centering due to uneven ground. Now if you build a pusher TRAILER that can be disconnected by way of a pintle or similar hitch built strong enough then turning and wheel count would not be an issue nor would it having the chance of getting stuck on a speed bump or driveway entrance. As I said some more research into the pros and cons of this style might be a good idea. Was not a jab nor any type of insult

the13bats

May 3, 2012
Orlando
I-bed-a-Yank

I believe that you mistook me for some fellow who never fabbed anything, just bought an off the shelf bike motor kit slapped it on some bike,

I have been building ( from the ground up ) everything from custom Vettes, kit cars choppers and trikes to recumbents of various shapes and sizes,

You keep harping about what won't work in my plans you keep pushing it will be illegal, to start with I believe you are the one who need to do more research not just on what you feel are the faults in my project idea and laws in my town but with your project,
The trike you picked the way you plan to drive it the geometery etc etc....

Come on and try to stop coming off like a troll

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If you're having issues with another member due to perceived insult or slight and you feel you cannot resolve it, please use the 'report post' function (
, top right of post in question) as such behavior is a rule violation. Continuing, even escalating the altercation with additional insults only serves to distract from the topic at hand as well as being a violation in itself.

Any continuing conflict will be removed & infractions added.