New ride

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Want to thank all the guys and gals here for all the input they gave me while I asked stupid questions. Tom had to put the pics on site and greatly appreciated. I tinkered with it for most of the day riding, adjusting, cooling etc. in general breaking it in. I have never had so much fun ,ever. Highly addictive and going to start another and make it even better. I am quite amazed at the performance the little China girl puts out. Believe me the speed is quite adequate for me, don't want to go any faster. Here in this small town I have had people just stop walking and look. The mayor even pulled into the driveway and oh and ah over it with questions. I can see riding it uptown is going to be interesting. I could go on but the satisfaction of that little thing purring down the road and to think ,,,,, I did this ,,,,is really the best. More to come and more tweaking too.

One question after getting carried away, should you run the engine with the fuel off until it stops or will just shuting it off enough? gphil .trk

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Hit the kill switch then turn off the fuel. Don't run it dry as that can cause a lean burn and possibly melt things. Just make it a habit to turn off or on the fuel when you ride.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Dave,,,,,,makes sense and thanks loads for the info. I just was not sure if the carb would sit there and leak around the needle etc. gphil

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Gary,
As long as the float and needle and seat are working you shouldn't have to worry too much about shutting the fuel valve (petcock) off. That said, you have to consider that even the smallest piece of crud that can find its way to the needle and seat (float valve) will keep it open and you'll flood things. I always shut off the petcock when I park the bike. The hardest thing is remembering to turn it on when you're ready to ride again. It can be very embarrassing, even to yourself to 'run out of gas' if you forget to open the petcock. :)
This is a reason we always suggest to install an in-line fuel filter. Clean fuel will reduce the probablity of clogging or blocking the carburetor passages.
Tom

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
...I always shut off the petcock when I park the bike. The hardest thing is remembering to turn it on when you're ready to ride again. It can be very embarrassing, even to yourself to 'run out of gas' if you forget to open the petcock. :)...
This and kill switches have been reason for much unwanted exercise for myself. I once tried for over half an hour to start a bike, with an on/off kill switch, before I remembered to turn the switch on. Can't count how many times my buddy has "run out of gas" because he didn't turn the fuel valve on.